Fuge Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvdeadhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been reading everything on here I can get my hands on about new FOWLR setups, and I must say thanks to everyone. I really feel that I have a good grasp on everything.

Anyway, onto my point... I remember reading one of the fuge posts about someone on here putting everything in the fuge, including the heaters. I was wondering how that works. It seems to me that just heating the fuge would cause a temp drop in the main tank. Especially if the fuge is about half the size of the show tank. Do you jack up the temp in the fuge, or just have a lot of flow? Anyway, I'm confused... not real sure how that would work and keep a healthy temp going.

Thanks in advance for the responses. :wink:

You may be confusing posts on sumps with posts on refugiums. Some sumps are subdivided into sump duty and a section used for a refugium. Some refugiums are separate in order to provide them with a lower flowrate than a sump (preferred). A sump is a good spot for heaters, skimmers, dosers, etc. since it has the same flowrate, for the most part, as the main tank. A refugium, because of the lower flowrate, should be treated as a separate tank with it's own heater.

WHOO.

Wild and Wonderful WV.

Ok. sorry about that. im native WVian.

Instead of putting the heaters in the fuge (because ideally you want a lower flow in the fuge than the main tank/sump plumbing) I would put the heaters in your sump.

Consiter the sump and main tank to be 1 volume of water thats simply seperated by some plumbing. As you warm the water in the sump your warming the water in the main tank.

That's what I was thinking. It seemed impossible to me for the temp to be right in the show tank since the fuge has a low flow rate. I guess I misread the post, it's hard to tell. I get bored at work so I log on here and see what's new, until I get caught by my boss. LOL Anyway, thanks for the help.

What part of WV fishfreek?

Hampsure county. Cant spell it right. I dont live there any more.

Alot of folks have part of their sump as a fuge.

Back
Top Bottom