Got New Clown need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susie Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I have a few questions and need some advice. I got everything under control and even set up a isolation tank. I got a new clown for my son before he had dental surgery. Our present clown is 1.5 in long and 1 in tall. We‘ve had it for about 3 weeks. From what I’ve read the larger clown would be the d. female. And that a clown this size is all ready sexed. So I special ordered the smallest clown that the lfs could get so I shouldn’t have a problem with putting them together. It came in while I was in Lexington for his surgery. Well my husband did everything to get it into the tank (an air stone, 2 hour drip acclimating regulated with a valve, and then floated for 30 min), .
Well our bigger clown and the smaller clown started swimming around together. The bigger clown then proceeded to back it’s tail fin up to the little one. After a while the clowns started just swimming around.
Now the trouble started the big clown stated grabbing the smaller clown’s fins. Before he could get it out of the tank, the bigger clown killed the little one. So now we have a 4 yr old in pain and begging for another “nemo”.
What did we do wrong? Any suggestions will be welcomed. pers2 012.jpg This is the bigger one.

I would have tried the bigger one but there is no guarantee that they will become a mated pair. All we can do is hope for the best. JMO

I would have tried the bigger one but there is no guarantee that they will become a mated pair. All we can do is hope for the best. JMO
So you beleave that I should get a bigger one Melosu58. I trust your advice. I'm not tring to breed them I just want my son to be happy. I'm planning to go to the pet store today when I take my pom to the vet and get another clown. Hopefully I can get a bigger one if not I'll order one. I've got a breedery from when I had my fresh water fish. I plan to put the new clown in it but it has no lid. Would it be ok to use plastic wrap or press & seal to seal the top so that it doesn't jump out of the breedery?

Sorry for your loss. They were both unsexed (probably) and the bigger one was claiming it's territory. They will sex (assuming they haven't at the LFS) when together, the larger becoming female and the smaller a male.
I wouldn't put a seal over the top of the tank, it will limit O2 exchange and drop your pH. Use something like egg crate.

Sorry for your loss. They were both unsexed (probably) and the bigger one was claiming it's territory. They will sex (assuming they haven't at the LFS) when together, the larger becoming female and the smaller a male.

This is my understanding also. Just because you get a big one and a small one doesn't mean you have opposites. They are all the same sex until they've been in the tank together for a while and the hierarchy establishes itself. I don't think they're in the LFS tanks or wholesaler tanks long enough for that to ever happen. Unless of course they are sold specifically as a "mated pair."

Back
Top Bottom