How often do I change rodi filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemodao

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm about to start a saltwater tank and I'm going to by an rodi unit. How often do I need to change the membrane and the filters and the deion unit. I know that you should change it when the TSS level passes one but how long does that generally take? I would do a 7 gallon water change a week for a 45 gallon tank. So how long will it take before I change the things.

It depends on the kind of ro/di unit some have flush valves that can increase the life of them. Agter about 8 or 9 months my Tds meter read more than 0. I make roughly anywhere from 15 to 45 gallons a week depending on water changes and top off water.

I change my sediment about monthly, and my carbon about every 2. A R.O. membrane should last you about a year under regular use. I make about 75 gallons a week. it also depends on your water. If your water is poor, you'll be catching a lot more junk than others. My water is terrible.

Okay, my water is pretty clean. I guess all the stuff inside of mine will last long. Thank you!

When is a good time to change your filters? I can tell you I didn't think the RO/DI units make a BIG difference with a TDS reading, but they do. My normal well water is 315TDS, and when it's passed though my Filter it reads 007TDS.

At what number should you start to worry about changing the filters and cleaning out the membrane?

I would change mine out long before I got to 7 actually. 4ppm would be enough for me to change out my DI resin.

Thanks Mr_X! I will be changing them. I don't know how long the DI Resin should last. I this unit.

Amazon.com: Coralife 05692 Pure-Flo II 50-Gallon Per Day 4 Stage RO/DI System: Pet Supplies

How long will a deionization cartridge last? The ones I see are in the $30's and some say they only last a week. That's expensive! I do have well water and it's very bad water with a reading of 315! Will replacing just the first two filters be fine? How often do I need to change the deionization cartridge?

Is there a good refillable one that fits my system?

Last edited:
Mr_X. I got the bulk color changing resin, and the 2.5 X 10 canister. How long do you think that stuff will last me? Being my water is from a well, and my 1 micron filter is very covered in crud already. I am making the water for my new tank now, and while I would like it at zero, I am happy with a 7 right now. When I put the TDS meter in, I get a reading of 380 from my normal water!! So I guess the filter is doing it's job. I will make sure that my filters red Zero from now on.

Having a Kid soon, so you know! Trying to save money by buying it bulk! I hope it last for almost a year. LOL Maybe? I did buy two more 1 micron filters and 2 more carbon filters.

Again, you are a life saver! Where would I be without you mr_X? LOL

Back
Top Bottom