How to get nitrates down in a saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat_a126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any tips please? It's currently 20 ppm and I want to lower it.

Do you do regular water changes? If so, how much and how often?

Yea, I used to do 50% once a month, but I'm trying to do it once every two weeks with a 20-30% change (the place where I get the natural saltwater is kinda far)

I have a 75 gal comm.and do 10 percent every two weeks and my water is always perfect.i only have 7 fish and a shrimp so its easy for me I guess

How high are your nitrates? 10% water changes does a good job of keeping them down in a system not being overfed. No matter what, you have to export what you put in. If your nitrates are at 40, 10% is only going to take 4 out and you are left with 36. It'll go up again and then you'll only take 10% out.
I would do a large water change, like the 50% you say you already do, and then switch to 10% to keep them down >20-ish...but it all depends on how high your nitrates are to begin with.

How high are your nitrates? 10% water changes does a good job of keeping them down in a system not being overfed. No matter what, you have to export what you put in. If your nitrates are at 40, 10% is only going to take 4 out and you are left with 36. It'll go up again and then you'll only take 10% out.
I would do a large water change, like the 50% you say you already do, and then switch to 10% to keep them down >20-ish...but it all depends on how high your nitrates are to begin with.

My nitrates are at 20ppm. I just did a 20% water change since I just found an area near me that sells natural saltwater. I am also trying to feed less.
The bad news is that I think I have Aiptasia (glass) anemones so I'm planning to get a pepperment shrimp soon.

Just nuke it with aiptasia-x and be done with it. Don't add livestock to solve an issue it might not be interested in anyway.

I actually already wanted shrimp, so I'm just going to see if I can kill two birds with one stone. If not, no real loss :)

I've had better luck with feeder shrimps eating aiptasia than with peppermint shrimps and there cheaper

Back
Top Bottom