ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmania

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just put a new sailfin tang into my tank and he has broken it out with ick I was wanting to know if anyone had any suggestions that would help me out try to get through this cause it is very frustrating thanks any help needed have had the tank up and running for 6 months

Are there other fish, or just the Sailfin Tang?

Search for threads on treating Ich. This topic gets brought up almost daily here and other people have posted great links with great information on how to treat Ich. The short story is that if you want to do it right, there are two treatment choices...hyposallinity or copper. Both kill the problem and both are done in a QT tank. Other methods (LFS medicines) only treat the problem. You want to "cure", not just treat.

I hate to sound like the Tang Police here, but a Sailfin Tang really needs a much larger tank. Most Tangs will not thrive in a 55g. Check out places like liveaquaria.com or bluezoo aquatics.com for fish info, tank size suggestions and compatability. You will see differences in size suggestions sometimes. I tend to stick with the larger. Smaller tanks cause stress. Stress weakens immunity. Weakened fish are more susceptible to disease and parasites. This is especially true for Tangs.

I'm in agreement about the small tank vs the big tank. I have a Sailfin and he's 9 inches. Just gave him away for FREE as he needs a larger aquarium. He was in a 140G.

Well all of my fish have died even though I was trying to treat the problem so now what do I do to get rid of this before I put any other fish in the tank

The tang died also?

I would retry your cycle. Add some frozen music shrimp or something and test your water every couple of days for 2 or 3 weeks.

You shouldn't really add any fish soon as the parasite will still be there.

Back
Top Bottom