Live Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a new tank when I move at the end of the month. Currently it's sitting in my garage with some live rock in it cycling. I bought the live rock online, and put it in a few days ago. As soon as it hit my water, the whole tank turned yellow. It looks like someone pee'd in the tank. I put some Kent's Pro-Clear in the tank to see if it would settle out, but it has not.

What causes this? It doesn't appear to be just junk suspended in the water because it's not settling out. Do I need to change all the water in the tank?

It is most likely dissolved organics that where trapped in crevaces in the rock. I would do a good sized water change and run with some carbon for awhile. The carbon should remove a fair amount but you will need to change it a few times.

Cheers
Steve

Sure but it will just be removed a bit slower. I wouldn't suggest using two skimmers on the same tank if that's what you mean. They will just work against each other depending on type. The carbon will do a much better job.

Cheers
Steve

I'm sorry, I really wasn't clear at all about this. Currently the tank is about 1/3 full with two PHs, sand, and rock in it. I was going to take a spare protein skimmer, move the sand away from one corner, and place the skimmer physically IN the tank with the rest of the stuff and let it run. Does that sound like a potential solution?

If you filled the tank the rest of the way and used the skimmer as normal it would be a much safer prospect. What you suggest should work, I would just be worried about the skimmer tipping.

Anything that will help filter/remove organics will work.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom