Looking to buy first order of Live Rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyingfish 2626

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on the best place to buy live rock? I just got my 55 gallon tank running a couple of weeks ago and want to place my first oder. Looking to buy around 50# for the first go around. Tank was started with 40# of crushed coral and 20# of live sand. I am running a 10K flourescent bulb and a Actinic 40 watt bulb. Any help would be great and thanks!

I bought my first order from DR fosters&smith's LiveAquaria.com I was very pleased with the coraline algae coverage. You could also mix base rock with live rock to save money base rock is a lot cheaper it just takes longer for the base rock to look the way you want it to but if your in a hurry this is not a hobby to be in. I paid the extra money for extra live rock from inlandaquatics.com it was ok caribbean rock with lots of nasty stuff on it the sizes where great though. I have about 80-90 pounds inside my 46g Tank 1.5-2# per gallon is suggested. Also you will probably get some heat for the Crushed coral substrate many people have experienced issues with crushed coral because of the large pieces trapping waste and developing a Nitrate issue. I started with Crushed coral as well thanks to the fish stores advice. I removed all of it and just bought a dry aragonite reef sand. Live sand is also way overpriced by the time you get it nothing is really alive anymore basic dry sand will become live over time.

I was a little scared to order on-line but did order my crushed coral sub and the live sand from Drs & Foster. The live sand is shipped in a seeled bag with plenty of water. I will see how it works for me.

If you can afford it I would say get it from your LFS. That way you`ll be able to pick the sizes and shapes you want and it should already be cured. The only draw back is the price. I bought 200 lbs at 8.99 a lb. You do the math. I always start crying everytime I do the math.

First get about 50# of base rock then get a box from LiveAquaria of LR to put on top of it. I would removed the CC now while you can and put some dry sand in for the base.

...I would removed the CC now while you can and put some dry sand in for the base.

Just wanted to emphasize cmor's point about removing the crushed coral. Seems like most folks that start with it eventually take it out because it just traps too much junk.

Also want to put in a plug for Premium Aquatics in Ohio, Premium Aquatics INC - live rock and aquarium supply . I got all my live rock from them (cured) and was able to call them up, describe what it was I was wanting to do and what shapes of rock I was looking for. The folks there described to me some of the pieces they had and I went out on a limb and trusted their judgment. Ended up being great pieces. I would've rather gotten it local, but I just couldn't find any quality stuff that had the right shapes. I'd buy from them again if I had it to do over again.

I agree, I am one of the folks that liked CC....for about 3 months. It can also limit your sand sifting critters.

Well I ended up ordering 45# of cured premium Fuji from Drs and it looks pretty good so far. I am running a wet/dry filter with Bio balls right now and I was wondering if I should add some type of food to the tank to help the new cycle. My tank is 2 weeks old with live rock just added. Thanks for all of your help. It seems like I learn something new every day!

Back
Top Bottom