Mandarin (Dragonet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just another update!

My mandrin is still doing awesome!!!!!!!!!!! its been a while now,so here is another example that they don't need giant tanks.... :) wohoo!!

Thats awesome!!!!!! I never doubted you could do it from the jump. I can only hope I can get the same results when I get my dragonett. Great job!!!!

How's he doing

Good morning, I was wondering how you little fella was doing, I brought a manaderin a week ago and he is living in his own 40 gallon tank with 25 KG of LR (sorry we use KG in England so not sure how many ibs that is) before I brought him I made sure he was eating frozen food but I'm also adding pods to his tank twice daily to make sure the population stays healthy, the tank has been up and running for 18 months, I moved my crew that where in that tank to a 90 gallon tank a couple of months ago and just left that tank with the LR and corals for a few months then got George, so I'm hoping it has a healthily population for him, (I hope I'm making sence here) he eats new era marine pellets, frozen and live brine soaked in phyto and I'm also trying to get him on mysis for nutrition, I so hope he is going to be ok, he is always foraging for food all day long roughly eating something every 30 to 60 SECONDS, so I have my fingers crossed. I am thinking of setting up my own pod tank so are you having success with yours?
Also hello to everybody as I'm new to the forum, I have also got a 30 gallon tank with my little mantis shrimp in who is just wonderful, he is a Haptosquilla Glyptocerus so is one of the good guys, he takes his meal from my tweezers and shows of to me all the time, cute little click. So that's 3 saltwater tanks in total, I'm greedy.

Welcome to the site! Sounds like you are doing everything right with the mandarin, maybe try blood worms as well, mine loves them :) Do you have the green or blue mandarin?? Any pics? (of all three tanks haha)

Thank you

Hits and thank you for your welcome, I have loads of photos and videos of my tanks, I just don't know how to up load them. I am adding some to you tube, one of Tommy my carpenters flasher wrasse, flashing at Annie my lyre tail anthia, and another of Homer my blue check sleeper goby moving loads of coral rubble in to a pile as it was in his way of sifting, some pieces where half the size of him and he still managed to pick them up, he was like a little puppy with toys, he is just wonderful, eats everything I feed in the tank and at night him and my flame firefish (sexy) sleep together they are a married couple it's lovely.
When you say blood worm, do you do the same when getting a mandarin to eat frozen brine, firstly feed live then gradually add frozen etc. Also am I right in when I add pods I turn of lights and pumps to let them settle on to the rocks? Also I have noticed in my mantis shrimp tank it is covered in pods, on the live rock, glass, sand, swimming in the water column how can I get those over to Georges tank?
Sorry for all the questions would I be better at starting a new thread, rather than high jacking this one LOL
:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Try a brine fish net and just scoop through the water and then go over to the other tank and shake it out in there. Do that a couple times a week and you should add enough to keep the dragonette happy and also alow the pods in the other tank to replenish so you dont end up run'n out of pods.

Sounds like great tanks! You should post a link in your profile or something to your youtube. There are albums you can make in your profile as well.

The blood worms I am talking about are a frozen food just to be clear haha they come in cubes just like the frozen brine or frozen mysis, and yes it's probably best to try and mix the live and frozen. When I trained mine I just turned the pumps off like you said and target fed the mandarin with a mixture of frozen foods, I had no live. To get the pods from the mantis shrimp tank you could also swap out a few rocks now and then, just pull one from the mantis tank and place it in with the mandarin, rotating the rocks so they can be replenished with pods.

Not sure if it is common, or if my friend at the lfs has just been extremely lucky, but he told me that spotted mandarin gobies are much easier to train to eat frozen /prepared foods vs the psychedelics. He has several on display (not for sale) that he said were no problem. He is ordering one for me and is going to get him trained on prepared foods before I take him home to put in my tank.

Hello every one and sorry for the slow reply to all your help. Well my mandarin George is wonderful. Very very fat has put on loads of weight, I also have in with him 2 banded pipefish and they are very fat now to, all get on so well. I've finally found out how to load on to you tube as I put on one of my hubby when he got locked in the shed, oh it was funny. So I'll be uploading vids soon, I've got some beauties of tommy my flasher flashing at Annie my lyre tailed anthia, she just looks at him as if he is mad. Click my mantis shrimp is getting use t me more and more each day, he is so fun yo watch, I send hours just watching my tank a day, well they are better than the telly. When I have the links and worked it out how to even send th links I'll up date. Thank you again everyone. byeeeee

My wife bought a green mandarin when I was at work one day. You know brand new tank she wanted a surprise for me. Although I was new to the saltwater thing my tank has been cycled very recently within the last two weeks. So she forgot to ask what it eats so I find out later it's copepods. It isn't an Ora mandarin but it loves the heck out of emerald entree frozen food. I've had it since Sunday getting copepods today to dump in there. He's been eating pretty good since I've given the frozen food to all the fish

MikeyD said:
My wife bought a green mandarin when I was at work one day. You know brand new tank she wanted a surprise for me. Although I was new to the saltwater thing my tank has been cycled very recently within the last two weeks. So she forgot to ask what it eats so I find out later it's copepods. It isn't an Ora mandarin but it loves the heck out of emerald entree frozen food. I've had it since Sunday getting copepods today to dump in there. He's been eating pretty good since I've given the frozen food to all the fish

Sometimes you can just get lucky.. I have a scooterblenny that was mislabled when I bought him but he loves frozen mysis shrimp..I got lucky!

It is lucky, wish my scooter and mandarin took to prepared foods so readily. But its usually not the case. Time will tell though....

Check reefs2go.com 2000 live copepods for 38 bucks

I love reef2go.com. I highly recommend them. They regularly double your order for free.

Have not added copepods since last update. He is Doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is VERY healthy. I'll post pics later, but he swims alot eats algae and copepods
alot :) GL to the rest of you

Back
Top Bottom