Mandarin (Dragonet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will do. Last night my Mandarin was chasing pods around by the live rock and this morning he ate some cyclopeeze, so i think keeping a Mandarin takes alot of care and effort. Not a 100 gallon tank lol.

I'd love to see links to mandarins living 3 years or longer in a small tank. I keep hearing stories about mandarins that were eating prepared foods that stopped suddenly one day. It takes months for a healthy mandarin to starve to death if there are any pods being supplemented.
It is possible with a green water tank a/o some other methods but it take quite a bit of dedication. One vacation could end it all.

I'd love to see links to mandarins living 3 years or longer in a small tank. I keep hearing stories about mandarins that were eating prepared foods that stopped suddenly one day. It takes months for a healthy mandarin to starve to death if there are any pods being supplemented.
It is possible with a green water tank a/o some other methods but it take quite a bit of dedication. One vacation could end it all.

What do you mean by green water tank?

My bottle of pods came in green water, i think thats how they eat. I think anyways....

Just following along to see how this all shakes out

I think he means a tank filled with phytoplankton to feed the coepods.( like a culture) and i have a sucess story of 2 years in a 12 gallon nano reef and still looking

Don't worry about others, just do what you gotta do for your fish. I know there are people who have kept them in nano's no need to prove your point. :)

People are just worried is all. This fish is like the unobtainable goal so many salties have in their hearts, myself included.

If you are dead set against bringing him back and trying we all will try to be as supportive as we can. Just remember alot of people on here have also tried and failed so we're not just trying to rain on your parade.

I really hope your guy does well, really. I'd like to know updates as you go along. I intend on adding one to my 55g at the end of the year so anything I can see here will help. :)

LOL Don't kid yourself, I think you should have waited to get him but hey, I got a scooter I can barely feed so i can't be throwing stones now can I? ROFL

I tried returning my scooter but no one wanted the responsibility of keeping it alive. I spent hours going through my phone book. But what's done is done right?

is your guy taking any preapred foods yet? Have you tried frozen cubes yet? Mine will eat a small bit of emerald entree. It looks kinda like pods when melted so the fish I don't think notices.

I turn off all the water flow and use a turkey baster to direct the frozen food to him and I put some on the rock too. He is constantly pecking so he ends up getting some that way too.

oh ok i turn my powerhead off and i just out the food down right next to him(in the same corner everytime),

Thats a good idea, train him to go to one spot. Mine still gets freaked out by the baster thing but we're working on our issues, him and I. LOL

Have you started a pod tank yet? Mine is cycling HARD core. i have about 20lbs of lr in the tank so far. Just hoping they grow quick after the cycle finishes

How big is your aquarium? Because i have heard of multiple success stories in tanks as small as 12 gal. And Mike i just finished reading all those links. Lots of great info i like the LR pile idea im gonna try it this week

i have a 26 gallon. i plan on using an HOB refugium but i don't know if that is good enough

I hope your right. lol I do see pods in my pod tank but not nearly as many as in my cube or 55g. :-(

Three bags total and I added 18 lbs of live rock, ten lbs of sand and i put in some cheato today. I've been putting in some flake and phyto. It's cycling though so I can't tell for sure if it's gonna work yet.

My Mandarin is still doing great! he picks at the rocks during the day and i think he eats pods at night!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom