Name that inhabitant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I spotted this guy today and know its's a sea star but don't know the type. I guessed Brittle Star but the lfs, who sold me the rock with the hitchhiker, said it's a 'Coral Star.' Of course I googled Coral Star and found nothing that looks like what I see. So if you could please check the pic and let me know what you think. BTW I picked up some more LR tonight and I got another one, it was a bit bigger and faster, maybe I'll see them again...
:dance:

Attachments

• starfish.jpg
    starfish.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 149
Yes, I imagine you will. Over time as your tank matures.

Great hitch hiker you have there.

It was funny to me, when I started out in this hobby way back (never mind how far back :) )... The first time I saw my own tiny brittle star, I was so fascinated by it. Then months later I started seeing them all over the rocks and glass. They were most active at feeding time and I couldn't believe how many I had.

Cheers!
Tom

Yes, I imagine you will. Over time as your tank matures.

Great hitch hiker you have there.

It was funny to me, when I started out in this hobby way back (never mind how far back :) )... The first time I saw my own tiny brittle star, I was so fascinated by it. Then months later I started seeing them all over the rocks and glass. They were most active at feeding time and I couldn't believe how many I had.

Cheers!
Tom

I found another one a couple days ago. It was on the highest point in the tank on one of the rocks and standing on all 6 legs, yes 6, and it looked like it was ejecting sand. Maybe just taking a dump. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Of course after the flash on the camera went off so did he... alas I've seen him again, and once more since.

Thanks guys, that's the nice way of saying the lady at the lfs doesn't know what she's talking about... There so tiny, I wonder if we'll meet again!

At least your finding out now over something like this. It could have been worse! And don't worry you'll see it often maybe just an arm or two but it will pop out every time you feed IMO great cuc

I have those all over my tank! I got one as a hitch hiker and was really excited. Then I found at least 3 more. :) they're harmless. In my research, I've found the closest thing is a "micro brittle star." awesome! :) they're good little guys to have. They don't get any bigger.

Back
Top Bottom