new tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I initially had a 90 gallon freshwater tank. However, yesterday I converted it into a saltwater tank. Here is a list of all my current equipment:
90 gallon all glass tank
Eheim 2217 canister filter
SeaClone Protein Skimmer
Aqueon heater
Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand
Hydrometer
I filled the tank with "treated" tap water yesterday using Tetra AquaSafe Water Conditioner. This morning when I check the tank the water is still a bit cloudy, but much clearer than last night. The salinity is currently at 1.024
Question, what is it that I can change/add to this setup before I add any fish to the tank.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...10&i=b80c5e19dd8b844b637ca5155ecfb4633c747f3f

I would recommend you check out our SW articles section. You are going to need something to host beneficial bacteria (99% of people use Live rock for this) and you will need to cycle the tank (also an article).

That canister filter will need to be cleaned often so that stuff doesn't build up in there.
You will want to eventually ditch the hydrometer for a refractometer, the hydros are really inaccurate.

You should go get ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits and check what your levels are at now and through the cycle. There is so much we could tell you right now (not that you have done anything wrong) so I would suggest you do some reading into the basics and then get back to us with any further questions.

Based on what I am reading I am thinking I could continue to use the Eheim canister for a few months and then as my budget permits me, I can go ahead and buy a wet/dry filtration system.

absolutely need? no, but for 30$ or so they will do absolute wonders in maintaining water chemistry. Good flow and turnover rate will also decrease on algae and other problems.

Tap water is, but simple RO water is suitable for a fish only tank. You can buy it as distilled or purified drinking water at places like wal-mart or your local supermarket.

you want at least 10x turnover rate in your tank, which includes what is coming back out of your canister filter. So say you have 200GPH coming out of your canister and 2 powerheads with 400GPH you have a total of 1000GPH which is just over 10x. It is usually better with larger tanks to get several smaller ones then one large one to try and prevent dead spots. Don't be afraid of too much flow unless you have delicate fish. I have seen reef tanks with 90x turnover.

Okay….so here is my game plan since I already fill my tank with water. I will let it continue to run and once the water condition is optimal. I will introduce a few damsels and maybe hermit crabs. Then if all goes well after a month I should be in a much better financial position to buy some:

Live rocks, Powerheads

And then if that work our well introduce a few more fish.
Any suggestion / Comments?

Yes 1.5 to 2 lbs of LR in your tank. LR and a skimmer is all you need plus a PH to push the water around. You might want to check out a RO/DI unit for your water. Read this about tap water

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

I spoke to someone today at a LFS and I am planning to get about 20-25lbs of LR this week. Are you saying that I can kill my canister filter and just use the PH, LR and protein skimmer to accomplish great filtration for my tank?

Are you saying that if I put about 20 - 25lbs of LR in my 90gallon tank along with some PH, I can kill my canister filter?

I personally dont think that will be enough LR. You`ll need about 75 to 90 lbs to start. They kind of suggest 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon but if you can get 1 lb per gallon you can probably do it. A suggestion would be get the 25 lbs of LR and get 50-60 lbs of Base rock. It will become live over time.

since the tank has only started 2 days ago, does it matter if i place uncured or cured LR in the tank. I was hoping to get some LR by the end of this week.

Check out the article on curing rock in our articles section. You can add all the rock and sand at the beginning or any phase in the cycle.

I made a very stupid mistake by introducing fish to fast into my tank without the correct amount of live rock. What a disaster. Take it from someone that went through it. Get as much live rock as you can possibly afford right now and cycle your tank fishless. And save yourself the tons of money you will spend on salt by doing water changes every day. my 72 gallon took about 3 weeks to cycle once i added the right amount of live rock. Just a newbie perspective. Good Luck on your saltwater venture.

No one touched on this but you could save money by not buying a wet dry filter and instead just buy more LR or base rocks/

Back
Top Bottom