Noob here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

305_rb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good morning, I am currently in the process of converting my 55g tank to saltwater. My goal is to have 2 small tiger sharks in there, are any other fish compatible with the tiger sharks?

I will be using live sand, wavemaker, skimmer, and proper filteration.

thnx.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

How big do they get? I have a feeling they might not like a 55 gallon tank. I don't know much about them so we will have to wait for a more experienced memebr to help.

Tiger Sharks, as in Galeocerdo cuvier. Considering that Tigers are one of the worlds largest sharks getting 12+ feet in length it is easy to say that no, and I mean no, home aquarium could house one of these monsters. To make matters worse tiger sharks are fairly aggressive and would be highly dangerous to even think about managing in captivity, unless you of course were a super large public display aquarium.

A 55 gallon aquarium is way, way to small for any shark even those commonly offered for sale. Bamboo sharks, wabogongs, and nurse sharks all need very, very large aquariums and often times 500 gallons or more is not enough. Basically for your size tanks sharks of any species are out.

Welcome to AA.com :)
Sharks do not make good pets. Most get pretty large and public aquariums are in no rush to take one off your hands when it gets too big. Some people would say sharks should not even be sold in the aquarium trade, at least partly b/c of most aquariums being too small. I would suggest reading up on other aggressive fish and maybe looking to increase your tank size some if thats what your interested in. There are quiet a few "community" fish options though for a 55 gal.

It wont work. Your tank is about a hundred times too small. Please research what you are talking about putting in there.

Welcome to AA!!! Tiger sharks are a very bad idea, considering i have cought one of those monsters on a fishing trip last year. Stick to Lionfish and Triggers. They are much cooler looking and less aggressive. You can actually keep your hands with them! :LOL .

Like I said earlier, 55 gallons is really way too small for any shark species in the long run. A 150 gallon or larger aquarium could house a Banded Cat Shark, but a 55 gallon is way off base for even that species, which by shark standards is a small fish.

If you were looking at a fish that grew slowly and would eventually, in several years time, need a large aquarium I would tell you to give it a shot. Sadly unlike many other marine fish sharks grow quickly, some obtaining up to one foot per year in size so unless that big tank is practically set-up and running they are a bad proposal for small aquariums.

I would recommend trying another fish altogether. There are some species of Lionfish, Grouper, and others that are exciting predatory fish that would make a far more active display in a 55 gallon aquarium then a banded cat shark. Sadly being that banded cats are nocturnal not only do they need a large tank they aren't very much fun. A snowflake Moray Eel would be a good option for your tank and loads more action!

Back
Top Bottom