Please help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefishys

Aquarium Advice Activist
We had a large thunderstorm that knocked out our power. Our sump flooded and we lost about 10 gallons on the floor. It leaked into the basement now everything (including our computer) is soaked. Should we move the tank? Will the floor not be as stable? What should we do?

It is a 75 gallon.

lovefishys said:
We had a large thunderstorm that knocked out our power. Our sump flooded and we lost about 10 gallons on the floor. It leaked into the basement now everything (including our computer) is soaked. Should we move the tank? Will the floor not be as stable? What should we do?

It is a 75 gallon.

The floor should be fine as far as structural stability. 10g is not really a whole lot but its carpet you will want to pull up the carpet and run fans underneath it to dry it out.

Might wanna think about installing a check valve on your return line for future power outages so this dont happen again. Along with a properly setup sump which wont flood.

Your floor will be fine. This is assuming this isn't frequent and there's no problems with the wood under the floor. It takes a lot of frequent water to rot wood. And most of that small amount you spilled would be absorbed by the carpet and whatever's under the carpet. I doubt any of it made it to your structural support.

EDIT| But, yeah. Set it up so you don't flood in the event of a power failure. Sump 101!!

For some reason it didn't get all over the carpet it went wet behind the tank and down the wall. It looked like a waterfall from the basement. We were going to put a check valve on it but they are all made of metal which will rust an hurt the aquarium and fish over time. The only other solution we could come up with is a butterfly valve which would need to manually be turned in that case.

lovefishys said:
For some reason it didn't get all over the carpet it went wet behind the tank and down the wall. It looked like a waterfall from the basement. We were going to put a check valve on it but they are all made of metal which will rust an hurt the aquarium and fish over time. The only other solution we could come up with is a butterfly valve which would need to manually be turned in that case.

No they are not all metal, look on Bulk reef supply, you will find PVC check valves. Also a properly setup sump will allow enough room left in the sump for water to drain down from the return line without overflowing the sump. Once the water level drops below the return in the display then back siphon will break and the draining will stop without flooding your sump. If you have to much water in your sump it will flood.

You should have a max. and min. Water level lines for the sump. Minimum will designate the lowest the water can drop before your return pump runs dry and maximum will designate maximum level the sump can be so that is does not overflow in the event of powerloss.

Agreed. Your sump should handle all of the excess water. Shouldn't ever be flooding. The only reason mine has flooded before was an inconsistent return pump suddenly started pumping water faster than my overflow could drain.

I will try bulk reef supply. We have gone to all the home improvement stores and looked at dr foster and smith. Their check valves had metal parts. Right now we just have a DIY 20 gallon Sump until we can upgrade to something better.

Like Scott said you sump should be able to hold the amount of water thats left in your lines during power outagges. How high did you put in your baffles? While its running how high is the water level?

You need the height for the skimmer don't you? You may want to consider using a larger tank...

Your sump should be able to hold enough water until your overflow level stops draining any more water.

The height for the skimmer and for the baffles we tried making them smaller but didn't work. We are looking for a 30 gallon long but they are hard to come by. Our store could order one but it would be $150 which seems extreme for just the tank. They told us that they don't regularly make them anymore so it is a special order. Not sure if that is true or not...

lovefishys said:
I will try bulk reef supply. We have gone to all the home improvement stores and looked at dr foster and smith. Their check valves had metal parts. Right now we just have a DIY 20 gallon Sump until we can upgrade to something better.

Try think link, for some reason i cant access BRS's website right now. Look halfway down the page on this link under Check Valves. They are all PVC.

http://www.marinedepot.com/plumbing_parts_fittings_ball_check_gate_valves-ap.html

Remember check valves need cleaned every six months or so to ensure they dont get stuck open and fail when it needs to work.

lovefishys said:
The height for the skimmer and for the baffles we tried making them smaller but didn't work. We are looking for a 30 gallon long but they are hard to come by. Our store could order one but it would be $150 which seems extreme for just the tank. They told us that they don't regularly make them anymore so it is a special order. Not sure if that is true or not...

Id tell them to suck it lol. Look on craigslist perhaps.

Yeah very expensive! We have alerts on our iPhone for any aquarium for the past 8 months....no 30 gallon yet. A 40 is to big to fit in the stand we already tried when Petco had the $1 per gallon sale.

lovefishys said:
Yeah very expensive! We have alerts on our iPhone for any aquarium for the past 8 months....no 30 gallon yet. A 40 is to big to fit in the stand we already tried when Petco had the $1 per gallon sale.

Yeah was gonna suggest that. Just a thought but ever thought about building your own out of glass or acrylic? Some youtube videos and how too's of you wanna take the plunge. Acrylic is probably easier but a bit more expensive for the acrylic.

I never thought of that. I can check it out. But a little afraid of it leaking. Could give it a shot :)

Back
Top Bottom