Predator Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am truly not trying to be rude or take a negative tone, but why are you adding fish after fish only to see them get eaten? I have personally never had experience with larger fish like triggers or even damsels, but I would certainly do my best to keep every one alive and happy. I understand you are creating a predator tank, but I recommend doing research and making sound purchases, even if just for the fishes sake (as well as your wallet's.)

Btw, I'm not implying that the fishes getting eaten was entirely your fault, just that doing a lot of research before buying fish is important.

I use the damsels as saltwater feeders, as most of us know freshwater feeders aren't good for saltwater predators.. And even then, I only put them in every so often, I usually feed them silversides, squid, octopus, mussels, or shrimp. The Niger trigger was a mistake on my part, as I thought it would be big enough to survive. I figured a 5" fish would be big enough. Which is why I have a 29g grow tank to grow out the grouper and snapper to a bigger size..

I use the damsels as saltwater feeders, as most of us know freshwater feeders aren't good for saltwater predators.. And even then, I only put them in every so often, I usually feed them silversides, squid, octopus, mussels, or shrimp. The Niger trigger was a mistake on my part, as I thought it would be big enough to survive. I figured a 5" fish would be big enough. Which is why I have a 29g grow tank to grow out the grouper and snapper to a bigger size..

I see, I didn't know about the damsel feeders (that makes sense.) Mainly I was referring to the first two triggers, however I understand everyone makes mistakes, and the only good outcome can be learning from them. Good luck!

Yeah, I really wish there was cheap saltwater feeders.. $5 a damsel is pretty expensive.. Another reason why I don't feed em damsels that often..

Yeah, I really wish there was cheap saltwater feeders.. $5 a damsel is pretty expensive.. Another reason why I don't feed em damsels that often..

$5 a damsel!!! I can get 3 for $10 or $3 each!!

Wow... That's ridiculous. They come pretty cheap down here, that's odd.

Yeah and the annoying thing is that this is my only LFS besides petsmart (which I luckily haven't been to in years.)

They have very healthy livestock and very knowledgeable staff, but their prices are ridiculous at times (i.e. one time they sold me a 0.5" frag of gsp for $30.)

Yeah, I have two lfs, plus a petco in my area.. The cheapest damsels are $5 for me, regular chromis', yellow-tales, and dominos.. I use the petco to buy supplies as it's cheaper for a bucket of salt there, but never for fish.. Out of the two lfs, one of them has a system with a lot of ich, so I never go there.. But ouch, I thought $5 was bad, $7 is a killer..

You figure with as much fish we export out of Hawaii, we'd have better prices and more stores, but most business in the saltwater stores here focus more on exporting to the states, rather then the local hobbyists

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398641869.345060.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398641885.748081.jpg

Took a couple of pics when I was testing water in my 29.. It's funny how whenever I walk into the room, the panther grouper swims up to the front, almost like he's begging for food.. Both of them eat a lot, and everything.. Alternating between frozen mysis, brine, bloodworms, and pellets.. Once every two weeks I'll give them some live ghost shrimp.. 10 for $1, can't go wrong with that..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399161375.935337.jpg

Newest addition.. Clown Grouper.. Ate the last damsel I had in there within a few hours of putting him in, so I guess that's good..

Yeah, he's doing pretty well.. Got him eating frozen mysis, bloodworms, and brine.. I supplement its diet with live ghost shrimp once a week, same as my other panther grouper and red snapper.. It's funny how when I drop in the frozen food all the eels start popping their heads out because they can smell it..

The petco near my house sells damsels for $3.99 each.. I just don't trust their tanks though, almost every fish I see there has ich.. I think the extra dollar or so I pay at my LFS is worth a disease free fish..

So I wasn't planning on picking anything up for the tank for a while, but I couldn't pass this guy up..

Anglerfish/frog fish was only $20 at my LFS..

The clown grouper is small compared to him!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399783368.250779.jpg

Back
Top Bottom