purple psuedo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 30 gallon tank that has been running for about 1 year. I have hermit crabs, snails, a lemon peel, blue tang, 2 percula clowns, purple psuedo and flame scalop. everything and everyone has been doing fine and happy. today i was given two chromis that needed a home. i didnt plan on adding anymore fish but it was either i take them or they go to the porcelin express. i acclimated them to my tank and placed them in. they lasted about two seconds brfore my purple psuedo attacked them and chased them till they could go no more and then killed them. im curious to know why and if i ever did plan on getting another fish would the same happen. my son wants to get a cardinal but im sceptical. any help would be appreciatex

You do know that the tang needs at least 180 gallons right? I think i read somewhere that the pseudo isn't too keen on cardinals either..

Purple pseudochromis is a mean, territorial one in your case. Any newcomer might get the same treatment since space is at a premium too. That's a lot of fish in a 30g and territory is gonna remain an issue.

it is a very very small tang. i did some research and most people i have talked to told me i would be ok for a while. i had to get it because my son had to have dory with nemo. I have a few friends that have 250 and plus sized tanks that will be happy to take him off my hands when he gets too bi for my tank. I was thinking of possiibly trading in the pusedo for the cardinal. i just dont want anymore aggresive fish. i had a wrasse in my 120 gallon that almost destroyed all my coral and bullied all my fish. killed at least 30 snails and crabs. never could catch him. had to remove all rock to get him out. i dont want anymore run ins with aggresive fish

its only five fish. i was told i could keep about six or seven as long as they are small

Good deal, yeah id scrap the pseaudo and get a cardinal. they look cooler too :D Make sure to not get all your information from one person ;)

Back
Top Bottom