Quarantining snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick Bateman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As everyone does when starting up a tank, I'm having just a small problem with cyanobacteria and green algae. I would like to introduce a cleaner crew of snails, shrimp and reef-safe crabs, but I wasn't sure if they had to be quarantined. Obviously they don't get the same diseases as fishes, but I assume they can carry them.

I won't be adding my first fish to the display tank for about a month, but I'd like to put the snails and a cleaner shrimp ASAP. Anyone know for sure? I'm so paranoid about introducing pathogens, because my last tank was wiped out by in ich infestation.

Thanks for any advice!

I drip/stream acclimate invertebrates for a couple hours and then rinse in saltwater prior to adding. I do not quarantine mobile invertebrates unless I know/see a specific problem.

Me either. I have to say, trying the band aid (adding inverts to clean) only masks a problem that will return. PWCs, are the key.
What are your water parameters?

I do 10-15 percent water changes every week. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates barely detectable. Not sure about phosphates, but I'm sure that could exacerbate the problem. Next time I replace my carbon, I'll get the delux Chemipure instead of the regular kind which should take care of that too.

I don't really want to add any chemicals to remove phosphates, and I'm doing everything else right, so I'm sure it will go away on its own. Currently the only thing I'm adding is Purple-Up to increase calcium and iodine and give the Coraline a month or so to grow before I put the first fish into the display.

I just throw inverts in, I used to drip acclimate them and then decided it was not worth the time for cleaners, I have not had any problems just tossing them in like fish food :)

I would not waste my time nor money on using purple-up. If you wish to raise calcium and/or alkalinity, use a part 1&2 formula along with kalkwasser or baking soda (for alk) and just kalkwasser.

Back
Top Bottom