Saltwater newbie Purchasing live rock $2 per pound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
There is someone close by selling live rock on craigslist for $2 per pound....Is it wise to purchase from an individual's tank or would it be best from the local fish store?

What would I have to be careful of introducing into my new set up from an established tank?

I started my first tank with CL live rock from a guy breaking his tank down. :)

If adding it to your current tank I think you might experience a mini cycle due to die off on the rock during transport. A safe way to do it is to add the live rock to a separate container or tank and let it cycle by itself for a few days. If you test the water and it's at 0 across the board then it's probably safe to add to your tank.

Just my thoughts....:)

Buying rocks from unknown person, there must be hazard. You don't know what's could be on it or not, one small thing could Change your whole tank. But , if the source is clean and safe, then the price is worth to buy from , otherwise you pay way more from local stores. Recycling the rock separately is just too much work you gotta do, why not just buy from store then?

I would go there and check it out. You're always running a risk of hitchhikers entering your tank so that wouldn't put me off!

Back
Top Bottom