Selling off fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Would you sell of a fish when it gets too big?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It has come to my attention that a lot of people in saltwater aquaria buy a fish that will be too large for their tank, with the intent of keeping it until it is too big and selling it back to a store.

Not downing that approach at all, to each his own, but I get too attached to the little buggers to keep him for a year or two and then sell him off to someone I don't even know can keep good care of them.

Just looking to see what other people thought, or what percent of us have or do this.

I get too attached to the little buggers to keep him for a year or two and then sell him off

I agree! I want to restock my tank, but don't want to give up my damsles...sigh....

Hopefully I would consult the folks here and find out before hand if the specific fish would fit into my tank. So, my answer would be, I won't buy one with the intent to get rid of it later because it got too big for my tank.

I have done this in the past, but with the fish i have now i plan to upgrade my tank when the time comes to give them a suitable environment.

meh.. I'll just buy another tank heh
Surprised my house hasn't collapsed from the weight of the water already..

I used to don't care about returning fish, but now... I can't even return my green chromis even tho i know deep in my heart... that i want a dif. fish... T.T

I voted no on your poll for selling off a fish, but that wouldn't stop me from giving it to someone I know who could take care of them with a bigger tank. I wish I could of taken my buddies banded sharks when they got to big for the 150 he had but then I would of wanted a house that had a pool. HINT HINT saltwater pond anyone?

I would have to say it should depend of the life expectancy in captivity... If you buy a fish that lives 5 years or more and it will outgrow your tank in a year probably a bad choice...Buy a fish with a 1 to 3 yr life and 4 years later its WAY to big then sadly part ways... Doesnt anyone get emotional anymore when you do that Flush???

I bury mine, dont think anyone would be happy if I flushed and for some unknown reason it came back to the bowl.

I have 1 fish that will eventually outgrow the tank, but it will take a very long time to do so, all my other fish are suitable for the tanks

Back
Top Bottom