Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

regaltang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 50g fish only with live rock. Any suggestions on a starfish, or is the tank not appropriate for a starfish. :?

Welcome to AA. It all depends what you plan on doing with your tank as some starfish such as chocholate chip can be predators eating whatever they come across. How long has your tank been setup and what are you water paraments? Starfish are very very sensitive to changes in water conditions especillay during acclimation so be sure no water what you get that you use a drip line to acclimate and most take several hours to introduce them as slow as possible.

I"m not sure what to recommend for now but, if you're tank hasn't been setup for very long I'd stay awary from some harder to keep species such as the blue linkia for now.

jamal-188 said:
Welcome to AA. It all depends what you plan on doing with your tank as some starfish such as chocholate chip can be predators eating whatever they come across. How long has your tank been setup and what are you water paraments? Starfish are very very sensitive to changes in water conditions especillay during acclimation so be sure no water what you get that you use a drip line to acclimate and most take several hours to introduce them as slow as possible.

I"m not sure what to recommend for now but, if you're tank hasn't been setup for very long I'd stay awary from some harder to keep species such as the blue linkia for now.
my tank has been set up for a month. PH is 8.2; N02 0; N03 10; 3/4 is 0. I currently have one small yellow tang and two small clownfish, 2 turbo snails and 5 small hermit crabs. Plan on adding over the next 6 months or so one regal tang, a diamond goby, dwarf angel of some sort and a threadfin butterfly.

thanks hope that is of some help.

I have a black spinney star that I really like but get the view of an advisor on that one as my tank is 2 years old.

I have been told more then once :roll: that I am overstocked. It sounds like you will soon be as well. Before you add any additional fish. Check out the inch guide on this site. I think you are planning on adding to many fish.. Sorry to get off the subject but it will be hard for you to keep your levels in check if you over stock.... :)

I would actually not suggest any starfish at this point in the tanks developement. Stars are extremely sensitive to changes and a new tank will not really be stable for the first few months. For an FOWLR tank, a star will eventually be possible depending on species but what will you be adding it for? Decoratively or as a detrivore?

I agree with what reefobsessed stated above, too many fish. The butterfly and tang are rather large growing fish and may be too large for this size tank. I would actually not keep a threadfin in a 55 gal tank, the tang might be possible if a longer tank- 48". That said though, with a butterfly in any size tank you will not be able to keep corals.

Cheers
Steve

I have successfully added two fromia (milleporella) starfish in a tank your size and less than two months old.

Just make sure you use drip acclimation over 4 hours or longer.

And as many others will tell you, I think you have room enough for just one more fish, hardly two; maybe the goby and the dwarf angel will fit but another tang, I would avoid it.

justin_tyme said:
I have successfully added two fromia (milleporella) starfish in a tank your size and less than two months old.
Just make sure you use drip acclimation over 4 hours or longer.
While you may be able to successfully adapt this type of star to a new tank, I would still disagree on getting that species in this early stages of a tanks developement. It's not just a matter of will the starfish acclimate and adapt but also having a tank that is mature enough and has ample natural food sources to feed it.

And as many others will tell you, I think you have room enough for just one more fish, hardly two; maybe the goby and the dwarf angel will fit but another tang, I would avoid it.
Sorry, I'm not clear on this. Are you suggesting the fish list above is acceptable or advising to just add the angel and goby only?

Cheers
Steve

Are you suggesting the fish list above is acceptable or advising to just add the angel and goby only?

I'm suggesting to add the angel and the goby only in addition to the existing tang and 2 percs. I don't like the idea of two tangs in a 50g, let alone with a butterfly.

I would still disagree on getting that species in this early stages of a tanks developement. It's not just a matter of will the starfish acclimate and adapt but also having a tank that is mature enough and has ample natural food sources to feed it.

What you're saying is correct; I should have probably mentioned that my tank was in a good state of maturity and balance, with plenty of pods already (a sing of natural life development) and extremely stable parameters, even if young. Otherwise I would have never taken my chances with a starfish. As a general rule I would advise to wait six months, but luckily my experience was different.

Back
Top Bottom