Tank cylced and snaila added is this the norm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luvbugg654

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok tank was cycled with some very pretty live rock and dry rock. Added ammonia once at the end of cycle just to be safe. All was zero except nitrates were 40. Have since done 50 gallon change of water total and added 2 turbo snails and 5 Asteria snails 2 days ago. These were my results today. Is this normal to have some nitrite and increase in nitrate? Leave it be? Also the snails seem to be doing ok

Attachments

• image-3876404424.jpg
    image-3876404424.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 84
I dont think you are cycled. You shouldnt get nitrites from adding a couple of snails. Also you will need to put food in there. A new tank has nothing for the snails to eat.

These snails poop like its their job. There are piles of snail crap where I have a dead spot it's insane. Also my one turbo is almost larger than a golf ball. They would HAVE to create some sort of cycle I would think. I was going to feed them but I dunno what to feed them and most people tell me I'm crazy for feeding the clean up crew

If you fully cycled, the snail bioload would not cause a cycle. The nitrite looks pretty high. What did you use as an ammonia source to start the cycle?

Nitrite is about 0.25. I did some live rock not much but had a lot of growth

U added pure ammonia once toward the end and it cycled thru as well.

Back
Top Bottom