Tank Transfer for fish and live rock only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benjithecookiemonster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of stablizing my new 94 gallon bow tank. I have the sump/refuge all set up as well as good flow throughout the tank. I also have the heater, phosban reactor and protein skimmer running like a champ. Also, all of the T-5 lights are running and timed perfectly in both tanks.

My main tank is a 55 gallon with full sump set-up. I have live rock with pretty purples and reds that have developed into a nice scene, panther grouper, some starfish, black urchin, anenome, and some crabs ;)

I have placed about half of my live rock from the 55 gallon over to the 94 gallon tank to start the cycle in there.

My question:

Is it okay for me to take perfectly good water from my 55 gallon tank and siphon that into my newer 94 gallon tank to speed up the process of transfering my feesh? Figuring that it will help aclimate the feesh a little easier...

Someone let me know their thoughts. Keep in mind, my 55 gallon filled tank is perfect.. tested and approved ;) Water and all...

I wouldn't bother using the old tank water. Start off with fresh RO/DI. The vast majority of your bacteria are in the rock and substrate anyway. Just be sure to try and match the water conditions as close as possible.

On the other hand, if the tank was clean and your ok with the parameters (nitrate, silica, phosphates, ca, etc) then I also wouldn't see a big deal is moving some of it over.

Leave the sand though

How's that for the definitive maybe.

Me, I'd start fresh...

most probably...

You might not see much of a cycle if you transfer you LR from the 55 over to the bigger tank. That rock is cured already. When I went from my 55 to my 125 I brought over about 3/4 of the water but if you are doing it for the nitrifying bacteria the captain was right. You wont be bringing any over with the water. Just your LR will bring the bacteria over. I`d get new sand if it was me. Most times the old sand is so nasty even after cleaning that you will experience a spike in ammonia. JMO

Great!

Thanks sooo much, guys.

I have already put in the new sand and substrate. so, I'll probably just transfer over the water since it was just tested last night and was perfect ;)

As soon as the temp is equal to what I have in the other, i'll acclimate the inhabitants and just move the rest of the rock over...

I just didn't know how long to wait before doing the transfer but seeing that it is the same or at least 5o% of the same water, there shouldn't be any harm...

Just keep in mind, the water contains very little of the beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrAtes, so don't count on that to speed the cycle of the tank.
If you are moving the LR and media over and not adding drastically to your bioload, you should be good to go.

lols

Well... The transfer went well yesterday. Except that my Sea Urchin didn't make it. He stung the krap out of me and when I got him into the new tank he ran all around... then in about 3 or 4 hours... wasn't moving. Everything else is fine though.

I ended up taking all of the rubble rock and sea plants in the 55 gallon sump with the critters that were there as well and transferred them into the new sump for more filtration. As soon as I can get my camera back, I'll shoot some film and post!!

The Panther Grouper is soooo happy now with more swim room ;)

~Benji~

OKAY!! Took Some pics with my SideKick... Not the best but you can see the set up and all. ENJOY!!
l_ea83b81553ba4c50ab96748f781e6408.jpg
l_e1eeb385ebce479e9beda36702fc8e26.jpg
l_5174b62d9b0d459f9e43885109afbb2e.jpg
l_3bd23cc674e546958986c6714d639b2d.jpg
l_b3acd15244bb40439b250d9d2eaf9710.jpg
l_26e50c27ea2648fdbee60544076a9341.jpg

Also. There are crabs and snails in the Bio Ref with all of the plants and rock ;)
Little eco-system down there as well ;)
My plants you see in the last pic are about 14 inches tall.
I just wish the pics were clearer. I cannot get a good regular lit picture to save my life. Any suggestions about shooting photos of tanks with high-end light systems. i always get too much glare and wut-not.

Back
Top Bottom