Thinking of starting a species only sea horse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sister has always wanted sea horses when I found out that I couldn't put them in my reef tank my sister was unhappy. So I was wondering what I would need to do to make this tank happen. Like gallon size and other stuff like that.

Anyone know how I would go about setting it up.

These are very difficult animals to care for to be asking such a broad question.
However, I believe non-dwarf sea horses need 30 gallon tall tanks, low flow, and sea grass or something of the like to hitch onto.

They also require small regular feelings, I have read 3 times a day - which is one of the reasons why they are difficult to keep. Constant monitoring of params and stable water conditions... Awesome thing to do and something I would love to do too if I had the time ;)

I would go with dwarf sea horses. They are supposedly hardier than most species and don't need a big tank

I would go with dwarf sea horses. They are supposedly hardier than most species and don't need a big tank

So the dwarfs only need 30g

Dwarf seahorses are acutally considered the hardest to keep. Their diet is very demanding and they rely on live food. Nearly impossible to train to frozen. Getting the flow right is also tougher for the dwarves.

Most seahorses need 30 gallons or more. Dwarves require much less. However, as I'm sure you know, smaller is harder in saltwater.

I saw a show on a sea horse breeding program (on Discovery, AP, or NGC) and the tanks used were spherical with no substrate. The shape allow for water and food to continuously move around and allowed no dead spots to occur.

On live aquaria it says that they are difficult to maintain why is that.

I had already answered that question and so had someone else - they only eat live foods and small amounts frequently. So you got to be raising its food for them (expensive) and be home all the time to feed them, monitor parameters...

There is a reason you don't see many starting seahorse tanks on here. For the same reason that most of the ones you do see, wind up coming to an abrupt end. I don't mean to discourage you, but just based on the questions it seems there is a lot more research to be done.

Back
Top Bottom