Undissovled salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blag It

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
Have had my saltwater cycling for over 24 hours now, and there are traces of salt flaked on the bottom of the tank. Will this eventually dissolve, or do I need to somehow resolve it?
Thanks.

Then give it time. It'll dissolve. I keep a long piece if pvc pipe by my mixing bucket to move any stuck undissolved salt.

This is a dumb question but is the heater running? Salt dissolves faster and water can hold more salt at the correct temp.

Got the heater set to 24 c (75f) but water temp somehow keeps staying at 26.5c (80f). Leaving it to stabilise for a few days.. Was told the specific gravity should be 1.024 at 24c.
Yes I used stress zyme to begin the bacterial cycle.

The temp rise is probably from heat exchange from your pumps or if you have your lights on which I wouldn't recomend during the cycle. It will just grow algea. You can just turn your heater down a little. As for a amonia source I dose mine to 4ppm with just plain pure amonia. Also I have heard of people throwing in a table shrimp and it will decompose or what I did with my first tank is got some uncured live rock and put it in the tank. When you do it cures in the tank and the bacteria that dies off is your amonia source. They all work fine its really your choice as to what works best for you

Yeh I was planning on getting some live rock, heard cured was better but if uncared helps I may get some!
Does the ammonia help dissolve the salt, or have we ventured off subject?? Lol!

Ammonia only starts your nitrogen cycle. It has nothing to do with salt dissolving in water. I agree with the suggestion that you could add a power head to increasing circulation and facilitate mixing.

Well uncured first off is cheaper and second off will give a better amonia source for your tank to start and it will cure in your tank which will be good

I got mine "partially cured" from my LFS. All the muck and big stuff was gone. Looked cured but grew coraline fast and started my cycle immediately. I'll always recommend this for new tanks!

One more question, if the salt remains undissolved, will it be dangerous to my fish or clean up crew?
If so, how can I go about getting it out?
Thanks.

The salinity levels will be different from top to bottom of the tank so yes and you will never know how much the salinity is. Fish might be ok? Idk but definitely not shrimp who sit at the bottom all day.

Idk how to fix I would recommend take about 10% water out and replace with FW and stir continuously to see if that works. Maybe the Water is too saturated

The specific gravity level is at 1.020 which is lower than the minimum, so plenty of water left for the salt to dissolve in.
I don't have any fish or creatures in the aquarium yet so I'm in no rush, just wana know how to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom