water conditions need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

louiseberry

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi just got finished cycling a 150 gal tank water crystal clear,diatom just alittle left 1week ago put in a few shrimp 4 crabs 1 brittlestar they look good.didnt want to overload system taking it slowwww. want to put in 2 clowns and a benny .the guy at the store told me to soon for a benny [ he also told me to do water changes during lcycling ] but i didnt.1 did alittle water change 20% cleaned filters etc,water is 78 temp,anomia 0 , nitrites 0 , nitrates around 20 ,did water tests nh3 nh4 they always come out great at 0 ,ph around 8.4 ikeep hearing nitrate around 20 is good others say as close to zero so what do i do ? i just have live rock and sand no corals thanks for any help i dont want to mess up now. louiseberry:confused:

First thing to do is use punctuation in your posts! Man... that was a tough read.

Sounds like you have a cycled tank that is ready for inhabitants. Appropriate nitrate levels depend on if you have corals or not. For a fish only tank, nitrates of 20ppm is OK. More than my personal preference, but nitrates at that level aren't harmful to fish. If you have or want corals, then 20 is bad. In that case you want them as low as humanly possible.

If you're not doing corals, I'd probably do several 30% water changes to get the nitrates at least down to 10ppm. This is your best opportunity to start with as clean of water as possible, so I'd take advantage of it.

Not changing water during cycling isn't a big thing. Personally, I think it just prolongs the cycle doing water changes, and I prefer to just do a bunch of big ones at the end before you add livestock.

Welcome to Aquariuim Advice!

Nitrates below 40 are ok for fish, but as Kurt said, now is the time to get them down. Do a couple of 30% - 50% water changes, then add your livestock.

Good luck and

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome to the site!
What kind of blenny are you looking to add?

What kind of Blenny are you thinking about? If you are thinking about a lawnmower blenny then I would not do it. They feed off micro algeas in the tank and I dont think you have much being new. If not trained to eat prepared foods then it will starve to death after the algea disappears. The key to any blenny or any fish for that matter is to make sure you see it eat at the LFS. Ask the LFS to feed the tank and see if it eats anything. It will save you alot of heartache if you do that. JME

wow guy at petstore didnt tell me that, maybe i"ll wait ,and just get two clowns , and a few more crabs. any suggestions? louiseberry

I like snails over crabs. Nassarius snails are awesome. I also like cerith and margaritas. Remember, there is not much for them to eat in a newer tank, so you will want to start with small numbers of snails.I would say 30-40 would be a good mixture.
When you acclimate inverts, make sure to take a longer time since they don't tolerate parameter swings very well. I usually drip acclimate mine for about 2 hours.

sorry, not to keen on snails, any suggestions on a type of bennie ? dont want to end up killing the little guy louiseberry

Whatever type you get make sure he is eating before you get him. Here is mine. He is a black sailfin blenny. He eats mysis and flake.

100_1230.JPG

hey melosu 58 , i was just looking at your pics , and fish get along list ,very helpful thanks. still looking at all kinds of bennies to choose from,but i will make sure i see them eat before i buy [ thanks to you guys ,i could of made a big mistake not knowing that ]louiseberry

HnJohnson1125, I started a new thread for your questions, in SW Getting started. I titled it "New tank, have questions".

Last edited:
Is there any snails that are more prone to reproducing quickly? I dont want babies everywhere, Ive heard sometimes it may get out of control.

Scooter blennys need a live food and they only eat pods. So you need a established refugium for pod population. Then Lawnmower blennys can eat some coral.

If you want a reef tank this means its all about the coral. Coral put little load on your system but need feeding. They eat many of the type of food that fish eat so having a few fish would help. So think of fish as part of the cleaning crew. A few for algea and or snad cleaning and 1 or 2 for eye candy.

You want to add the least aggresive fish to the most aggresive , so planning your stock upfront makes it easier.

Its best to start with a few CUC then wait and then add a fish or coral then wait and add another fish or coral then wait and add more CUC then wait and add more coral.

THen you want to feed 4 or 5 type of food and feed lower amount smore aften helps.

Then good water flow and rock placement play a big part along with tank maintance and water source.

Its about many things working together for best success.

Then Lawnmower blennys can eat some coral.
Lawnmower blennies are herbivores. They are also one of the "comb tooth" blennies. Their mouth and teeth are designed to scrape algae from rocks.
They DO NOT eat coral.

I`ve never known them to eat corals either. As Larry said they are herbivores. I`ve known a few folks that had them in their reef tank and when the micro algea ran out they starved to death in a reef tank.

I have yet to see snail eggs hatch in my tank. Their eggs become critter food pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom