What is the diff. exactly between FOWLR and Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fambrough

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yes, a newbie here, another on info overload. I'm doing lots of research before I take the plunge trying to decide what's right for me.

Back to my question. As I understand it, the FOWLR can/does mean live sand, too, if there is a DSB. Is this correct? And it also means fish and inverts, right? So the main difference is that there are no corals? No anemone?

The equipment differce seems to manifest itself primarily where lighting is concerned, correct? The corals need more light and certain amounts of specific spectrums of light.

When one committs to reef, does that mean more water flow is necessary?

Finally (and thank you for your patience), is it difficult to convert FOWLR to reef to a mature tank?

Thanks a million!

Ben

a fowlr usually does not have an anemone. a reef tank has corals . This is not fact but what i understand from reading online

fowlr could have an anemone, so can a fo, the only dif is the corals in the corals reef than just the liverock and the fish in the fowlr :wink:

I think we should come up with another designation..alright here goes. How about...
FAIWLR
Fish and inverts with live rock. 8)
Would probably cover a lot more people. Would decribe my system well. :lol:

Fish Only With Live Rock....
Do you need LS no, You don't need LS in a reef either
My FOWLR has fish that can not be kept in a reef tank because they will eat them. These fish will also eat shrimp so I have none of them. But I do have some crabs and snail for now..... Until my DF Puffer gets big enough to crush the shells.
Lighting another big difference , I only have 80 watts of normal florescent bulbs on the fowlr for a reef you would need min PC lighting.
I have my tank set up with a sump/skimmer and drilled over flows so if I wanted to convert it to a reef all I would need to do is take the non reef safe fish back and get better lighting.
If your thinking of going reef the plan on that when you set up and just cut back on the lighting till later.

Thanks. My questions are mostly addressed.

In my planning. I think I will do FAIWLR (fish and inverts with live rock) and maybe venture into minimal reef when ready. I will probably go with PC lightling from the beginning.

I have a ton more questions, but will save those for other threads when I'm ready. Back to the research and planning for me.

This is a great forum. I am greatly impressed with the membership and participation level, with the knowledge shared and with the generous and kind tone that seems to be quite open, welcoming and kind.

Cheers,
Ben

In my planning. I think I will do FAIWLR (fish and inverts with live rock)
That the way to go IMO. I'm telling you, a new designation is in order. :)

Back
Top Bottom