What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oo7cable

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a massive algae problem. Ive done EVERYTHING you can to get rid of it. My tank is UGLY! I bought some media to remove the Phospates. All my tests are perfect, and yet I have a massive amount of redslime algae in my tank! I have 3 PH and the filter moving about 1100gph. I feed every other day. I change about 20% of the water every week. I dont know what else to do! I change my light cycle down to 6 hours. Nw i have some sort of "roots" growing in the sand under the algae. I cleared the sand away and ther are "strings" comming out of the sand like roots. What the heck is it? My fish are fine, but I have lost 2 of 4 Turbo snails.

When you do a PWC do you draw this cyano out with your siphon hose? It`s best to take it out sand and all then do these measures. When I say sand I mean the part that is affected by this algea.

Oh yeah, I take it out everytime!!

Im about to do a week long black out then change out the sand completly.

Do you know what the "Roots" are? I have a pic but its so hard to see them its not worth posting.

Sounds intense. It has to feed of something so even if you lights out for a week, it may come back with water changes in the future.

Is your "My Info" correct?

55Gal FOWLR: 2 Blue Devil - 2 Three Stripe - 2 Domino - 1 Yellow tail - 2 percula clowns - 1 Neon Velvet - 1 Bicolored Angel - 1 puffer so 12 fish total. 10-15 hermit crabs, 20Lbs LR, Rena Filstar XP2, NO LIGHTING - Need suggestions (Metal Halide?), Protien Skimmer Comming Soon!!!

If so, then I'd say you're a tad bit overstocked. (OK... more than just a tad.) I'm thinking your nitrates are pretty high, which is feeding the slime. How old is this tank?

Algae needs excess nutrients to feed off of. Mostly it's levels of po4 above .03 ppm that causes algae blooms. No3 plays a small role also but IME only if it's above 20 ppm.

Even though you may test po4 in the tank at 0 ppm the algae may be consuming most of it to give you a false reading.

Have you tested your source water for no3/po4? (before and after mixing your salt)

I agree with Kurt that you are heavily overstocked for a 55 gal even if all your fish are juveniles. Even if you are maintaining no3 levels with constant pwc the amount of food needed to feed that many fish is going to contribute greatly to excess nutrients that feeds the algae.

The Protien Skimmer can't come soon enough. You need a powerful skimmer to help reduce doc, clean your canister weekly, and reduce your fish load to 12" of adult length or you will be fighting algae forever.

Hey Guys,

Ok so my tank info is not correct, I have One Clown, 2 damsels, and my puffer. About 5 hermits and 2 Turbo Snails.

Source water is RO/DI, Po4 Before and After is so small it wont read it. I've tried everything....I'm totally frustrated. I wanna take it all down and start from scratch!! :evil:

I still have not Idea what the "Roots" are. I've looked them up online, and found nothing!

Thanks for helping guys!

I had the similar situation, I now run a phosban reactor, with phosban and a bag of purigen. Sorry I didn't link them, but I had a super loooong day. Check them out on the drs website. (not yelling here) KEEP IN MIND, this will help (not substitute) in getting your water in shape ALONG with regular tank maint.
The "roots" are probably where it started and is still "stuck" to the sand or growing out of it.

Roka - Yeah I was looking at that reactor. I run some phosban in my filter, and the upkeep is routine. Im going to drain almost all of the tank and scoop out the sand, wash it off and replace it. Hopefully that will do it.

Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom