What's on this live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeithFrancis

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388852366.137938.jpg

Happened pretty much over weekend and seems to be spreading!
Only thing I've done is add a heater?
Any suggestions ideas how to get rid of? Thanks in advance

If you are referring to the brown algae it is called diatom algae...has the tank cycled ? How old is the tank? How long is your light cycle set for?

If you are referring to the brown algae it is called diatom algae...has the tank cycled ? How old is the tank? How long is your light cycle set for?
Thanks Monsterisme, wanted another look..
I have had the tank for 6 mos, but increased the live rock by 80 lbs 2 weeks ago! As for the lights I manually turn them on in the AM and off in the PM, around 10 hours I would suspect. Will it go away if I cut back. The light ?

Diatoms feed on the sillicates in your tank. This is contained on any new sand and rock substrate. It will go away on its own after the sillicates are consumed. Give it a week or two. The duration is determined by flow, temp, and other factors.

Thanks Aqua, I did actually add another power head to the tank as well as the heater. My nice purple and white rocks all brown..
Would larger more frequent water changes speed up the process?
Or less time with lights on?
Thanks again everyone for the feedback

Water changes will not always fix the diatom problem if you are using tap water which a lot of times has high silicates in it...you can cut your light cycle down and give it a few weeks...just be patient

Will do, thanks Monster!
Really should think about rodi unit !
Thought I would be ok with FOWLR,
Tap water must be the cause of the high silicates....thanks again

Hey guys, what is a good silicate removal compound? Just did some reading on diatoms and apparently I need to add some sort of removal compound to combat the silicate in both the aquarium water and the raw water added during top up.
Thanks in advance

Yup, if you're using tap water, the silicates will never go away. Invest in a RODI unit IMO/IME.

Bought some silicate remover and put it in my Sump-under the filter! guy at the local fish store said that it's probably due to lack of water movement in the middle areas of tank! Btw he says he gets it sometimes and never used rodi on any of his tanks.
I will update my findings and post any pics

I agree too some extent with you, however I think with 150 lbs live rock and 125 gallon tank 40 snails (of whom I saved from the local grocery store) for $1.00.
What I do agree is once the brown algae
Is gone I will probably pick 20 or so out and put them in my sump with the Macro algae growing in there.
I may be wrong but I think with the amount of water I have and rock, 3.5 snails per 10 g should be fine?
At least that's what I got from my Lfs?
Something maybe Mr X would be able to advise on

I'm going to have to side with Scouser on this one. Most of them will starve. That said, every municipality has different things in their water. Just because one guy can keep corals with tap water doesn't mean someone else can. The problem is excess nutrients, whether it be silicates or something else. You have to figure out where that's coming from and reduce or delete that addition.
The first logical thing is to assess feeding and bio load V.S. nutrient export. Are you doing enough water changes and/or have a large enough skimmer and filtration to process/remove what you are putting in?
Secondly, the source water. I would want to clean that up.
HTH.

Thanks X, Scouser for your replies...as far as water changes I try and keep religious on every other week (20 gallons)
I try not to over feed my fish, however it's difficult when you have fish that need 2/3 daily feeding.
I've added a power head and adjust ing the flow accordingly.
This tank is about 4 years old, and sat fallow for over a year after loosing interest, kids etc..but now I want to have a successful tank to teach the kids to appreciate our water! Been up and running now for half a year.
bTw I do have my old skimmer, but decided on trying to do it without and increase LR and add refugium...I may be wrong, but think its possible to filter
without a skimmer.
2 go around with Brown algae didn't realize that it could come back after the tank is cycled

I don't believe you have fish that need to be fed 3 times a day. Anthias? I think they are fine with once a day. Basically, put a weeks worth of food in your hand. What does it look like? A baseball? If so, there's your nutrient source.
It would never hurt to run a skimmer. Why are you reluctant?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389144868.315571.jpg
This is what the rock looked like when I bought it about a month ago, prior to that it looked like thisImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389144968.149526.jpg

Kinda wish I left it the way It was

You do not have enough rock. A pound to a pound and a half per gallon. I see no fish that need to be fed more than a few times a week in your tank BTW

Thanks X,

I have a moorish idol that apparently needs multiple feeding as well as 2 delicate Pipe fish ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389145317.632257.jpg

Back
Top Bottom