african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi all, first time I've done this. I have a 50 gal tank with sand and I just love it.
I have 14 fish in it and wonder if its to many? I also have a problem my tank smells a little and I try to keep up with all my maintence. I really need a layed out schedule of maintence. I've done a lot reading and just pick up bits and pieces. I also have trouble identifying my fish. they are changing colors as they mature. any suggestions on a good book with immature and female and male pictures. well going now see you my fishy friends pattik:fish2:

Going by your question, usually you need one gallon for every inch in total length when your fish are fully grown, but if you have skinnier fish like danios than you can have some extra fish. If you are very good about changing the water than you can have extra fish.

Going by your question, usually you need one gallon for every inch in total length when your fish are fully grown, but if you have skinnier fish like danios than you can have some extra fish. If you are very good about changing the water than you can have extra fish.

The one inch per gallon thing is a farce. If you follow that fallacy then you should be able to put a ten inch oscar in a ten gallon tank. It also doesn't even begin to cover a fish's bio-load. Some fish produce more waste than others. A danio produces less waste than a juvi cichlid of the same size.

With cichlids it's a whole different ballgame. Adult size, temperament, habitats etc play a lot into stocking.

Figured it was common sense that you wouldn't put a ten inch oscar in a ten gal.

hi all, first time I've done this. I have a 50 gal tank with sand and I just love it.
I have 14 fish in it and wonder if its to many? I also have a problem my tank smells a little and I try to keep up with all my maintence. I really need a layed out schedule of maintence. I've done a lot reading and just pick up bits and pieces. I also have trouble identifying my fish. they are changing colors as they mature. any suggestions on a good book with immature and female and male pictures. well going now see you my fishy friends pattik:fish2:

First off, set up a routine for tank maintenance. Cichlids are high bio-load producers, so you need to step up and care for them properly. I clean my cichlid tanks weekly.

Secondly, do you have any idea of what kind you have; african mbuna, tangs or even remember any names? Was the tank marked "various african cichlids"? If so, most likely mbuna.

Third, depending on what kind, 14 in a 50g can be find. Again, it depends on the type of cichlid.

Fourth, here's a decent website. That might help you get an idea if you have africans:

African Cichlid Genus Gallery

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom