angelfish experts please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterstickz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have had 12 angelfish in a 5 foot tank for the last year and they have now grown to breeding size. i realise i now have too many and will be giving away a few when i have found a good breeding pair. i have setup a new 30gallon tank for breeding and currently just have 2 small corydoras in the tank. my question is will it be alright to leave the corydoras in the tank during angelfish breeding and afterwards with small fry.

Depends on the pair of Angels. Some of them have no problem with cories in their tank and some get upset with them. But generally it gives them something to defend against and strengthens the bond.

They have always had corydoras with them so they are used to them. But will the Cory's eat the eggs?

Cories will eat the eggs if they can, but the Angels will do a good job of keeping them away. Not likely to lose any eggs due to the cories.

Cory catfish will not eat the eggs. The parents will simply not allow them near the egg laying site. If you are looking to raise the fry though, I would recommend pulling the eggs quite early and hatching them in a separate tank.

I was planning to leave the eggs and fish in the tank, that's why I only have 2 Cory's and 2 angels in there.

I was planning to leave the eggs and fish in the tank, that's why I only have 2 Cory's and 2 angels in there.

You can probably leave them in there without issue. I will say though that if you are trying to raise the angelfish fry in large numbers, separating the eggs from the parents is almost always the right way to go since you never know when the parents will turn into spawn eaters. If you are just doing it for fun to try and raise a few angels, just leave them in the tank with the parents and enjoy. :)

That sounds great. I could remove the parents. But yes it's just for fun to see if I can do it. Just the one breeding would be success for me.

Back
Top Bottom