Another new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VGimlet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, my name is Barb, and I am new to these fish forums, but not new to the hobby. I've had fish and tanks since I was about 8 years old, when my inital sad little guppy in a bowl led to a 5 gallen tank, and then a 20 gallon tank, and then 2 20 gallon tanks.

I was the kid who took care of the tanks, so i learned about test kits and water changes long long ago. I had everything from easy fish to Oscars. Yes, the Oscar was a mistake, although I may have one again someday, in a MUCH bigger tank. He was very cool.

My husband and I set up a 140 gallon tank about 20 years ago, and we kept it as a freshwater community for all that time. We successfully kept quite a few fish. The last few years it was home to just one 15 year old Marbled headstander, and one 10 year old kuhli loach. During a 5 day power outage we lost them both (sob). My husband decided to take the opportunity to set the big tank up for cichlids. He just finished fishless cycling the cichlid tank this week.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and set up a 55 gallon tank for brackish fish, which I'd been wanting to do for years. He had me try out bacteria in a bottle for my tank. So far so good, the 6 mollies look fabulous, but I am still a bit skeptical, and not adding my Bees or Orange Chromides until I'm sure the tank is really cycled. I am still gradually increasing the salinity (from 1.0002 to 1.0005) so it's not ready for them yet. :)

I also plan on getting another tank between 75-125 gallons as another community tank, probably this fall. I am planning on either one elephant nose (or many) as well as a few other fish compatible with them.

I still have one of my original 20 gallon tanks - now it houses our 25 year old female tortoise. We also plan on setting up a 20-30 gallon tank for when/if his cichlids grow up and start breeding.

In addition to all the fishy stuff, we also have 3 dogs, 2 Saint Bernards and a Newfoundland that we show in obedience trials, 2 of them (the saints) are also shown in conformation.

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like you are a seasoned aquarist! Hope you can share your knowledge with us :) jealous of your tortoise!

Yep, but there is ALWAY more to learn, no matter how long you've been in a hobby. We coasted with our big tank, they are so much easier than smaller tanks, IMO. African Cichlids are going to be a whole new world, LOL. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you.

Welcome you sound really experienced !!! Hopefully I can help you or VESA versa. Also African cichlids are amazing !

ive have looked after fish since about 4 and have ever since

Welcome!

If you want to see if your bacteria is working, test for ammonia and nitrite. There shouldn't be any if the tank is cycled. If the tank is cycling, there should be ammonia spikes, and nitrites will increase with the ammonia spike. The end result is nitrates. :)

Back
Top Bottom