beginner.. what fish ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
andi1 said:
Thanks mumma will rehome the kribs; gunna have trouble with the betta as kids love him ! Didnt know he would be a prob. . Hekk this is hard lol

It can be to begin with but once you learn about stocking and different fishes needs it gets quite easy. :) That's why research is so important when deciding on fish.
Ok what about this.
Have 6-8 blood fin tetras (so add 2-4 more of the ones you have)
Keep the Betta.
Add a school of cories for the bottom or a school of kuhlis.
You could have a second tetra school of 6 neons or cardinals.
That way the Betta stays.

Thanks mumma i will put that to my girl sounds like a really good plan :-D

Welcome to the forum!

I had kribs and I personally don't like to see them in anything less than 30 gallons, especially in a community tank. The kribs will get really aggressive when spawning, which they will do roughly once per month.

Have a Plan B for the betta (siamese fighting fish) as quite often they do not do well in community tanks.

I agree that you need to get your own test kit. Pick up the API master kit. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff at your store do not know how to correctly do readings on your water. It's happened to many of us.

Will platies go with the betta. Gunna re home the cribs

Many bettas are not community fish. I personally would not put platies with bettas.

andi1 said:
Will platies go with the betta. Gunna re home the cribs

Sure you can try it really depends on the betta and it's temperament. I have mine in a community and he does fine.

my betta (snappy snapston) not too bad he puffs out if one particular kribb gets too close ( the cribb is a bit agressive ) bt is fine with the other one. may try the platies as my daughter wants to keep snappy bt also wants something pretty :fish2:

just got home from work to find our betta has gone to the big fish tank in the sky, poor little thing, seemed well this morning, wandering if the krib had anything to do with it, he can be a bully, had already decided to take him and the other krib back on sat, then will only have the tetras left

It can be to begin with but once you learn about stocking and different fishes needs it gets quite easy. :) That's why research is so important when deciding on fish.
Ok what about this.
Have 6-8 blood fin tetras (so add 2-4 more of the ones you have)
Keep the Betta.
Add a school of cories for the bottom or a school of kuhlis.
You could have a second tetra school of 6 neons or cardinals.
That way the Betta stays.
hi thanks for the advice about what sort of fish to buy, have chatted with my daughter and the kribs will be going back to the shop this sat. unfortunately the betta died yesterday, it was fine in the morning bt by the time we got home that night he was upside down with a good bit of tail missing, seemed healthy, so think the angry krib may have had him. have orderd the test kit suggested here and will do a test before going and getting new fish, gunna get same sex guppies, (not sure how many is good) neons and maybe somthing else.:fish2:

If u get rid of the kribs then u could go with a small school of pepper or panda corys. My kids luv ours. Theyre always active and amusing to watch. Either way the possibilities are endless so enjoy ur new aqua.

If u get rid of the kribs then u could go with a small school of pepper or panda corys. My kids luv ours. Theyre always active and amusing to watch. Either way the possibilities are endless so enjoy ur new aqua.
hey thanks for that, just hope the shop will take the kribs back (think they will). going out fish hunting at the weekend so will have a look at the corys(y)

If you go with cories try and stick to the smaller varieties like pygmy or pandas. They also do better in schools snotty and get 4 at the very least but 6 would be much better.

Mumma.of.two said:
If you go with cories try and stick to the smaller varieties like pygmy or pandas. They also do better in schools snotty and get 4 at the very least but 6 would be much better.
Thanks, the kribs now gone to the shop, what an 'interesting' morning i had trying to catch the little dudes. Going to have a look saturday for pygmys and guppies

Back
Top Bottom