Chemicals Recommended New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rebel_shark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,
Hope you can give me some education setting up a 90 gallon aquarium:

Just wondering if there are any additional chemicals required when starting up a brand new 90 gallon tank.

I have added the following
Cycle (as directed)
Water conditioner (as directed)
PH Down, as the PH of our water is extremely high.

Just wondering if anyone would recommend another chemical, or if what I have cycling through now works?
So far it's only been 4 days, so I know it's a long haul :)
Thanks

Hi welcome :)

Water test kit just in case you don't have one (liquid based). Otherwise that's about it usually.

Do you have a reading for ph and/or kh?

Yes I do
KH, NH3, NO and PH.
I know there is a lot of stuff out in the market, just wanted to make sure, there wasn't something I was missing.
I am presuming setting up a 90 gallon is the same as a 25 gallon.

this is the first time for a larger aquarium, just wanted clarification from you pros :)

I'm curious - what is ph value?

Nothing else springs to mind. I'm usually trying to lift kh so I guess an opposite road.

Currently as it stands approximately 8.6, which I have to drop it quite a bit, but I have time.
I usually stock up on PH down, in order to get the water where I need it

Hope your water is soft so not too expensive to get down? Is there anything natural (and cheaper) that can be used? I had vinegar suggested to me once by the lfs which I decided to ignore. What about peat or a RO unit - or not worth it would you say?

Back
Top Bottom