Delving into the Saltwater World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neocamden

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings all. My wife and I are going to be setting up a 24 gal salt water tank next weekend. We already have the necesssary items ordered for the hardware, living rock, sand, salt, etc. What I am looking for are recommendations for starter fish. Our Supplier has suggested the clown fish as they are the easiest to start with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My stepdaughter who is married and has a 7 year old son is into the fresh water world of tanks, and she turned us onto Vances Tropical fish in Bucksport Maine, so there is some experience in the house, but suggestions are always welcome. Oh yes we live in Camden Maine.

Glad to have you and a big WELCOME to you and your wife.
Please have a look at our saltwater forums and ask allot of questions. There is more to a tank than just setting it up and putting fish in. Unfortunately, I'm of the freshwater persuasion and won't be much help to you. But the folks on the saltwater forums can fill you in on cycling a tank before fish go in (they really know their stuff). They can help you fine tune a tank in preparation for fish. ---- Good Luck and I hope to see pictures posted :D

Welcome to AA

First you should read this. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

That will get you started cycling your tank with out using fish.

And as for the fish recomendations you can look here. liveaquaria has a whole page dedicated to easy beginner saltwater fish. The will also give you general info on the fish and tank size recommendations.
Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

Clowns are always a good place to start. Gobies are also usually fairly hardy. Damsels are also good starters but are aggressive so keep that in mind with what else you wanna put in the tank. Pseudochromis and dottybacks are also not bad but can be a bit territorial.

So that should get you started. If you have other questions i would post them in the saltwater section so more people from the salt side will see it and be able to help you out.

Thanks for the reponses folks. I have posted in the Saltwater/reef side and I have been reading throught the different threads - all are wonderful and helpful. We are looking forward to a great time in the saltwater world.

TOm

Keep reading and posting. This is the best place to get GOOD advice. The best I ever got was "Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a SW aquarium" Take your time and you should be fine. Understand that a new tank goes through several phases the first year. Oh, and......

welcometoaa.gif

Hi, Welcome to the site. Asking questions on this site is much more helpfull than the Local fish store usually. As we are not trying to sell you anything just love to help out

Welcome to AA! I agree that as you browse the site you will find the wealth of information that is here for your viewing pleasure. :)

Back
Top Bottom