Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilbeale

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.

I quite new to this hobby and need a bit of advise.

I had a 25L tank for goldfish with sponge filter. I now have upgraded the tank to 70L. I have put the sponge filter in the new tank but am noticing it doesn't pick all the waste that falls on the sand.

When I got the 70L it did come with a hang over the back filter.

If I add that aswell would that be too much filtration (if that is a thing)

Many thanks

No. The filtration would be fine. I'd actually run double or triple the filtration for the tank size as Goldfish are messy.

No. The filtration would be fine. I'd actually run double or triple the filtration for the tank size as Goldfish are messy.
Many thanks I have put the other one in now

I didn't take much convincing

Filtration in a Goldfish Tank

Hi all.

I quite new to this hobby and need a bit of advise.

I had a 25L tank for goldfish with sponge filter. I now have upgraded the tank to 70L. I have put the sponge filter in the new tank but am noticing it doesn't pick all the waste that falls on the sand.

When I got the 70L it did come with a hang over the back filter.

If I add that aswell would that be too much filtration (if that is a thing)

Many thanks

Hello Lil...

Goldfish don't really like HOB filters that create a lot of surface movement. A dual sponge filter is much better. There's not a filter on the market that will do a good job of keeping the tank water clean, because it can't remove the old water and replace it. Your best option is to just use the sponge filter and then remove and replace most of the tank water every week and do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material.

B

If the type of GF you have has the fork tail it can withstand a higher flow as they are built for it. In fact, I've seen them play and hang out in heavy current. You also see this with wild carp in River systems or dam outlets. Fancy GF is another story. I wouldn't run real heavy flow with them. Or I'd put decor in a way that it breaks up the flow and gives them a spot or two for a break.

Back
Top Bottom