Hello all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tribalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the aquarium hobby and have been surfing this site for the last month or so. My kids have been pestering me to get an aquarium which was perfect for me as I've always wanted one. I am fairly cautious by nature and so have been doing research, but then I'll often decide I need to take some action and that's when I make mistakes...

So I finally bought my tank and stand. Then I put in an order at Dr. Foster and Smith since the kids were pressuring me to get a move on...

I got a 29Gallon tank and stand, planned for freshwater.
Purchased a 206 Fluval Filter and an AzooTitanium heater (I chose the titanium based on a friend's rec as he was concerned that heaters break a lot).
Have a Whisper airpump with the air check valve and tubing.
Got the Marineland LED hood.

The to do list includes exchanging my outlet for a GFCI outlet and getting sand. I'm planning to do a cycle without fish and have bought my API Master Test Kit.

I have a couple of specific questions:

1. How large do people make their QT? I was hoping not to spend a ton for this, but it seems like I should have a fully outfitted QT for new fish. I'm wondering how people set theirs up.
2. Any comments on Glass vs Plastic thermometers?
3. Anything else I'm missing equipment wise? I was going to buy a Python or siphon kit for cleaning/water changes.
4. Eventually, I'll need stocking advice, but I didn't want to get ahead of myself.
5. Finally, I'm kind of regretting the Marineland LED lighted hood since I haven't really done too much research on plants which I'd like to have as well.

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!

1 your qt can be as big or small it all really depends on the fish imo. People use kitchen containers 10,20 gallons or a tote of some sort.

2 i dont preffer either to ne honest i like certain brands that offer both.

3 you may need a 5 gallon bucket for water changes and i dont remember you saying filters. You could have though

4 ok

5 youll need to add more light from a t5 or something else i believe

Thanks so much for the advice and welcome!

For the QT, if it's a kitchen container, shouldn't it have filtration/heater/etc...? And I assume it should also be cycled as well right?

I've been reading about the T5 lights and figured I probably should have gone in that direction. My boys really wanted the nightlight on the Marineland hood though.

I'm looking forward to getting my supplies and starting soon. I'm actually really happy about the couple of weeks or so to cycle since it'll give me more time to learn and research...

Thanks so much!!

Back
Top Bottom