Hello everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketias

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings from the Caribbean!

My impulsiveness made me buy an aquarium and so far I've been having fun with it! :D I've been lurking a few forums for weeks and decided on AA since I really like how it is so far. Been doing lots of research and it's quite overwhelming. :shock: Of course, seeing as how impulse got the best of me, I managed to mess up already! :D

I bought a 5 gallon tank and bought 3 goldfish (2 Orandas and a Shubunkin). I know they probably feel like sardines in a can, but i'm buying a 20 gallon as soon as I can get the funds and get it cycled. 'Till then, I wanna make their life decent (or at least less miserable!). Any tips on this? I bought the API freshwater test kit since strips made me wanna pull my hair out (before test: unsafe ammonia level, after 50% water change and general tank cleanup: unsafe level. :confused:) if anyone wants to know parameters. Thanks! :D

Welcome to AA......

Post your water parameters will be glad to look at them.
Just keep the water clean.

Water is perfectly clear. I've been keeping up with water changes with a siphon. Two days ago:

Ammonia = 0.25-0.50ppm
pH = 7.6
Nitrite = 0.25-0.50ppm
Nitrate = 10-20ppm

Also, should the filter box ever be clean? There's a brown streak of gunk where the water comes out that builds up incredibly fast. Filter was changed two days ago too. Never knew fish could be so messy!

Well I can see that your tank is still cycling.

Filters should never be changed unless the are falling apart. Always try to rinse them in your water change water. (Aquarium Water)
Your filters hold the beneficial bacteria. Removing it will cause you tank to cycle again. And then you will be doing daily water changes all over again.

You need to do water changes until you get the ammonia and nitrites to a safe level. Preferably 0 .
Use your reading to tell you how often.

Right now those levels are stressing your fish out.
Nitrates are safe under 40ppm. but you want them to be under 20 ppm.

Perfect water condition are:

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20 or close

Back
Top Bottom