Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevie T

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i`ve just inherited a 45 gal tank with numerous fish: 1 x Plec, 1 x Black Molly, 2 x Albino Corys, 4 x Glowlight Tetra`s, 4 x Neon Tetra`s, 2 x Cardinal Tetra`s, 1 x Chinese Algae Eater, 2 x Albino Red Fin Sharks, 2 x Clown Loaches, 1 x Scissor Tail Rasbora and 5 x Guppies (1 sadly died yesterday).
Obviously this is all new to me and i`m trying very hard to take in as much info as possible as not harm any of the fish but I`m worried about 1 of the Glowlight Tetra`s now as it looks very fat and keeps going to the surface.
Any info or help would be much appreciated thanks.

Welcome to AA!!!
Many of the fish you inherited don't belong in that size tank. The sharks need a 55g minimum I believe. The clown loaches and the pleco (if it's a common) also need a much larger tank. Chinese algae eaters also grow large and aggressive so they should be rehomed.
But once again, welcome!

Welcome to the group! Definitely a bigger tank for the fish that glow larger (and more aggressive) would be very helpful to them. Keep doing your reguar partial water changes and perhaps test the water too (ammonia, ph levels, etc). Hopefully the tetra will be okay; I wish you the best!

Thankyou for the advice gutted about the tetra it died about an hour ago, did Ph test and it came up 6.8 which is ok i think as 7.0 is neutral?
Going to try and rehome the sharks and Algae eater however the clown loaches are really small do they grow that big? they seem fine aswell. going to take a water sample into the shop tommorow so they can test it hopefully the rest of the fish wiil be okay. thanks again

The ph is fine as long as you keep it constant I think.
Clown loaches can reach a foot in length but I heard they grow slowly so you may be able to keep them for a while and rehome them a little later down the road if you really want to keep them.

Aw I'm sorry to hear about the tetra :(
I believe the albino sharks should have a ph from 6.0-8.0 so you should be good. Yes, the clown loaches can get pretty big if they're well taken cared of (probably up to 12-16 inches). Personally, I think it's okay if you leave them in the 45 gallon just for now but you might want to be prepared to move them later on though. Let me know how things go! :)

Just to let you know guys I got the water tested and its fine, also took the Albino Sharks back to the pet shop and all my fish seem alot happier now! All swimming about much better can only guess the sharks were stressing the rest of them out? All good. Thanks for all advice will get some pics sorted out for my profile definately got the bug!! :)

Nice, glad to hear things have gotten a lot better! Looking forward to the pics! I just introduced my little demseys to a baby tiger oscar. Since they're both young and around the same size I think they'll work out to be good tank mates :)

Back
Top Bottom