Hello from Minnesota

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apinkmanatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! My name is Jenna and I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. I am completely new to aquariums and fish keeping, although it has always been a dream of mine. I am finally now doing it because I've gotten very sick this year from my fibromyalgia, and have found myself in need of a hobby that isn't quite as physical as my old hobbies (running, hiking, etc) and I can enjoy its therapuetic value all the days that I am home sick on the couch.

I have a 65 gallon tank, and am planning on doing saltwater (FOWLR). Money is tight so this is going to be a slow process. I'm aquiring things as I can, and asking for lots of fish stuff for Christmas. I have an emperor 400 filter and a ro unit. That's it so far. I am so excited to get everything set up! The fish I was hoping to have are: blue/green chromis, clownfish, coral beauty or flame angel, raccoon butterflyfish, bicolor dottyback, and a blue tang.

What are your thoughts on this combination? Any that you would say are not for a beginner? Or any that I should have that I didn't list? Any tips? I had read somewhere that it's best to have only one tang per tank...is that what you have found to be true? I also read that the raccoon butterflyfish is difficult to keep, but then read somewhere else that it's easy to keep, so what are your thoughts on that? Any websites, books or other resources that you would recommend? I'm so excited and thankful that I can be here and learn from all of you wonderful people that know all about this. Thanks in advance!

Hey Jenna, welcome to AA!! I'm from Minnesota too :) A FOWLR is a good place to start if you're willing to jump right in. Make sure you get good quality live rock, as that is the most important part of keeping your tank healthy. You can find good deals on Craigslist. There's also a reef society called TCMAS in MN, which is a good place to look and meet other salties :) as for fish, a tang won't work in that tank. They at active swimmers and need at least 75g if not more. The rest of your fish should be okay. Make sure you invest in a good skimmer for the tank. That and liverock are more important than filters. I'd also get a powerhead or two for water movement, nothing fancy though. Fill up your tank with SW, add your rock, and let it cycle. Then you're ready to add fish(slowly). I'm on a phone so I can't type too much, but I'm sure other members will come along and add to what I've said. Good luck with your tank!

--Adeeb

Hi from across the border in ND! Welcome to the forum! I have never done a SW so I am no help there. Maybe one day after I retire I will try my hand at it. Good luck!!!

Thanks!

Thank you Adeeb and arcticfirefighter. I'm so glad to be here!

Adeeb...wow you live in Woodbury too! It's a small world! I bet you will be a great resource for all things local. Score! :)

Back
Top Bottom