Hello guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I am starting this hobby now with my first freshwater tank of 54L.

Still doing a fish-less cycling on it and anxious to start moving in my fishes :)

No clue yet :/

The first one I loved it was the red discus, but I found that he as really sensitive fish and not good for beginners.

I read I could have a small community with 1 or 2 main fish and some schools one around.

What would you suggest?

Discus get HUGE! They get to the size of a dinner plate. The man who sold me my 90 gallon had a tank of some discus and they were huge and beautiful. Brilliant fish if you ever have the space and time (and money lol $50 a fish).

You could have a dwarf gourami of some sort. They're very nice centerpiece fish. Honey Gouramis come in a nice yellow/orange and there's another that's electric blue, and have one school of small tetras or barbs. I've seen some people keep just a school of small cories. Of course, there's the fan favorite betta, but its really a 50/50 shot on if they like having tankmates or if it stresses them out.

If you'd like some sort of "clean-up" crew that isn't cories, I recommend Amano or Cherry Shrimp or Nerite snails. With nerite snails, you have no risk of any accidental snail babies and are pretty chill snails. I have one in almost all of my tanks.

For lots of bright movement you could always go for an all-male guppy tank. I wouldn't recommend females because you'll have babies coming out the wazoo!

Discus get HUGE! They get to the size of a dinner plate. The man who sold me my 90 gallon had a tank of some discus and they were huge and beautiful. Brilliant fish if you ever have the space and time (and money lol $50 a fish).

You could have a dwarf gourami of some sort. They're very nice centerpiece fish. Honey Gouramis come in a nice yellow/orange and there's another that's electric blue, and have one school of small tetras or barbs. I've seen some people keep just a school of small cories. Of course, there's the fan favorite betta, but its really a 50/50 shot on if they like having tankmates or if it stresses them out.

If you'd like some sort of "clean-up" crew that isn't cories, I recommend Amano or Cherry Shrimp or Nerite snails. With nerite snails, you have no risk of any accidental snail babies and are pretty chill snails. I have one in almost all of my tanks.

For lots of bright movement you could always go for an all-male guppy tank. I wouldn't recommend females because you'll have babies coming out the wazoo!

Thank you :)

Today I finished my fishless cycling and I added 6 mollys :)

They seem enjoying ...

Next step is my center piece.

Mollies are bigger fish, most recommend a 20 gallon but if you keep the water clean I see no problems.

Do you know the genders of your mollies?

I bred and sold mollies for a couple years (the less “fancy” ones most likely being turned into pond or feeders). They’re great fish but multiply really quick.

Sure, my 15g is not the best, but I read that it will demand only a bit of more attention on water treatment and they will be great.

They are all female. I am not planning to breed yet.

Be careful, they might already have babies if they were kept with males.

And you're right, you'll just have to have a little more focus on the water.

They're very lively fish and I loved keeping them, I'm sure you will too!

Back
Top Bottom