Hey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becz1234

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and aquarium keeping and I haven't actually started my aquarium yet but I'm thinking I want to set up a 20 gallon saltwater tank with just clownfish for now. I know saltwater is a bit harder, but I'm up for the challenge! But i'd also appreiciate any advice.. :)

anything under 30 gals is really tough for sw. It requires much more care and water changes so your levels are safe. Be prepared to drop some $$ into the tank.

Yeah i think i might actually start with freshwater until Ive got some expierience and then I'll maybe switch to saltwater.

becz1234 said:
Yeah i think i might actually start with freshwater until Ive got some expierience and then I'll maybe switch to saltwater.

There is alot of experience on here to draw from and also it's not as "hard" as it's made out. I know plenty on aquarium noobies that start and are successful in keeping, the comment previously was just you will need to put abit of money into it. Again it's not as expensive as its made out to be, doesn't cost thousands but it is more expensive than freshwater. Keeping freshwater can be just as difficult dealing with all the chemistry plus fish care but it's all made worth it with happy fish and happy tank, otherwise why would we do it. If your up for saltwater and really want clown fish I would go straight for it rather than spend out twice on two sets of equipment, experience can be invaluable but experience in fresh doesn't mean you know lots about salt, do why not go for it, people on here will help you every step of the way. Providing your honest and accepting of advice and direction it could be a great experience for you and you will end up with your dream 20gal with clowns?

Just a thought. Hope you go for it personally. I went into planted fresh, not knowing anything. I'm a gardener by trade but alot of that experience doesn't interpret to water gardening, so I had and still have alot to learn. The bumps in the road will always help us out in the future and we can share those bumps with others like yourself to help them not avoid the same.

becz1234 said:

If you have room for it and think you can do it, look on Craigslist for tanks and stands. I got my 55 gallon with stand and everything I needed for freshwater for $150. I needed alot of cleaning but was a great deal. I'm going to change it to saltwater once I get all the equipment needed for it. I have heard alot about bigger tanks being easier to maintain in fresh and saltwater aquariums. I think one of the more fun parts of aquariums is doing all the research on the different fish and plant species. :). Welcome to AA!

Nomadu571 said:
There is alot of experience on here to draw from and also it's not as "hard" as it's made out. I know plenty on aquarium noobies that start and are successful in keeping, the comment previously was just you will need to put abit of money into it. Again it's not as expensive as its made out to be, doesn't cost thousands but it is more expensive than freshwater. Keeping freshwater can be just as difficult dealing with all the chemistry plus fish care but it's all made worth it with happy fish and happy tank, otherwise why would we do it. If your up for saltwater and really want clown fish I would go straight for it rather than spend out twice on two sets of equipment, experience can be invaluable but experience in fresh doesn't mean you know lots about salt, do why not go for it, people on here will help you every step of the way. Providing your honest and accepting of advice and direction it could be a great experience for you and you will end up with your dream 20gal with clowns?

Just a thought. Hope you go for it personally. I went into planted fresh, not knowing anything. I'm a gardener by trade but alot of that experience doesn't interpret to water gardening, so I had and still have alot to learn. The bumps in the road will always help us out in the future and we can share those bumps with others like yourself to help them not avoid the same.

+1

If your ultimate goal is saltwater, I'd start there. I'm only doing freshwater until I get my saltwater equipment, and because my tank came from a guy who had it set up for freshwater. Once I get the things I need it will be turned into salt.

Welcome!

Freshwater is wicked :D

Saltwater is harder but more rewarding depends on what you want :D

If you want salt, get salt. I have had a fresh water aquarium for over 10 years and recently added a salt water aquarium. It is a different animal. I don't think my fresh water knowledge has helped me at all. I LOVE my salt water tank!

On second thought, I will go for salt after all. If it doesnt work out, then I can still get a bigger tank and I'll already have all the equipment i need. I just find saltwater fish so much more interesting and living in saskatchewan i habe absolutely no acces to the ocean so this way i can bring a bit of the ocean here. I'm sure theres lots of cool freshwater fish, but its just not for me. I'm glad i came to this site too because you guys seem really helpful and it'll be nice to have someone to answer my questions :)

You will be glad you did! If you start with freshwater, since saltwater requires different types of equipment, you will be less likely to switch right away because you haven't gotten much use of that equipment and you will hate to re-buy.

Yeah but i think i will save up for a bigger tank first. Turns out the tank i have is only 10 gallons and thats pretty restricting. I'll definately be keeping an eye on kijiji because i've seen 55 gallon tanks for 150$ on there!

Back
Top Bottom