Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan A

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Dan, 32, Just bought a 35 litre / 9 gallon tank today, it is an Orca brand all in one type aquarium.

Bought some fish to put in it, 6 Neons and a Gourami Kiss as well as a few ornaments.

Will get a few more fish once the water stabilises a bit.

I live in Australia.

Dan

Attachments

• img_1050_169.jpg
    img_1050_169.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 39
  • img_1053_479.jpg
    img_1053_479.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 36
  • img_1054_430.jpg
    img_1054_430.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 32
Hi Dan, Welcome to AA

I have some bad news.

First of all, it sounds as if you did not cycle your aquarium before adding the fish.

Here is some information anbout the nitrogen cycle

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Also, in a nine gallon tank, you have a kissing gourami? Those things can get very large and need at tank of i would say at least 30 gallons but preferably more. Also, when the gourmi gets larger, he will eat the neon tetras.

Good luck! we are all here to help.

Welcome to AA!

You will find endless amounts of useful info here. Please do read up on the nitrogen cycle, as Jason suggested, because it will help curb fish loss while your tank cycles. The cloudiness you're seeing is from a bacteria bloom, while your tank processes ammonia produced by the fish. It will clear up in several days but you will need to do lots of water changes to keep your fish safe while the tank cycles.

Welcome to AA!! :wave: :wave: :multi: :multi: Another useful thing you will definately need to have during cycling is a master FW test kit, to test ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

Thanks for the welcomes and advice,

I would have thought the shop would have advised about the fish and them getting to big, although I guess they just want the sale.

They also said the fish will be fine in about 48 hours.

Dan

Bad advice. I doubt you'd find anyone here who agrees with the advice provided by your LFS.

Anyway, welcome and good luck.

Ok, as it turns out I actually have a 14 gallon tank / 54.6 litre, must have bought the bigger one and not realised 8O

I could be wrong as I have been trying to convert the dimensions to gallons, the dimensions of the tank is.

35cm x 40cm x 39cm

And the calculation used was 35x40x39= 54600 /1000 so I think i am correct.

Dan

Dan A said:
I would have thought the shop would have advised about the fish and them getting to big, although I guess they just want the sale.
Bingo!

Good thing you found us. ;)

WELCOME TO AA!!!

I usually say, "Please do not cycle your tank with live animals". You already have some great FREE advice. Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom