Hi from nz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomad_pete

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, been keeping fresh water fish for a couple of years now, and recently upgraded to a 140 litre tank after moving cities. Been using the site for advice for a while so thought it was about time I registered!
All was going well for the first few months of the new tank. Started slowly with my existing betta and bristle nose and then slowly added some neons and then other tetra. But problems started over last month.
Started getting green algae, so got a couple of Chinese algae eaters one golden.I saw the golden chasing the other quite often and then it disappeared one night. Only then did I find out how aggressive the golden could be. Things seemed to settle after that, and then my better half took a shine to some silver fin tetra, so I bought 6, reckoning that would about max for the tank. Turns out they are a bit firstly too (2 males, 4 females) one silver fin died after a few days, and 2 serpae disappeared. Tested tank and all seemed fine.
Then one day after returning form a long weekend away my beloved betta turns up dead with all his fins chewed off. And another serpae badly injured. Put the serpae to recover in a small tank I have.
Now I don't know whether it's the algae eater or the silver tips....
Sorry for the long missive on my introduction but if anyone has any advice...do I have too many fish? Too many varieties?
Do weekly 20% water changes and test water regularly.

It's the Chinese algae eater. The bigger they get, the meaner. They have been known to wipe out entire tanks. It's sad how commonly they are sold... Return the CAE or just get rid of it somehow.

Welcome to the forum though :)

Otocinclus are great little algae eaters. If you are having algae problems though it is usually related to a few reasons.

1. Over feeding
2. Extended photoperiod
3. Overdose of fertilizers(if used)
4. Lack of water changes.

How long do you keep your lights on every day? This is usually the common reason for brown algae and sometimes green.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Will see if the pet store will take him back.

Lights on for around 12-14 hours a day. But LED lights. Do these have same effect? Is it best to leave lights off during day? Tank does get direct sunlight for around 2 hours in the mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the advice. Will see if the pet store will take him back.

Lights on for around 12-14 hours a day. But LED lights. Do these have same effect? Is it best to leave lights off during day? Tank does get direct sunlight for around 2 hours in the mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Between sunlight and your own lights being on at least 12 hours a day that is causing your algae problems.

I would move the tank out of direct sunlight personally.

Cut the lights back to no more than 8 hours daily.

Between this and water changes your algae problem should decrease.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom