Hi there from the Uk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazHoos

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there
My name is Daz and I’m from the Uk and have recently got into fishkeeping due to my daughter wanted some fish as pets. We decided on freshwater tropical fish but being new to the hobby I have struggled with the Cycling of the tank. So I have a 40 litre tank with 6 neon Tetra in it. We got the Tetra on the 16th December and began the cycling process. I have had trouble this weekend with a huge ammonia spike and it was really really high. Fish were not gasping for air but was a little concerned. So the last 3 days I have done 3 50% water changes to get the ammonia down to 0. In a panic I changed the algae filter as well as the carbon filter as they had algae growth on the top of them. I’ve just tested my tank for nitrites and they are at 0.5 mg/l and my nitrate is about 25mg/l. I’m so confused to even know if my tank is cycling or have I compromised it changing filter media! Finding it very difficult to be honest and making a lot of mistakes! If any could give me any advice it would be great!
Thanks
Daz

Welcome [emoji4]

I’d test your tap water used for changing so as to get a baseline. Sometimes tap water can have ammonia, etc or the pipes get flushed.

Algae indicates lights on too long / too intense.

Sounds like your tank is cycling but unstable. The bacteria do populate everywhere so filter changing will have an impact but depends on how much media % is changed vs rest of tank / other filter media.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info, I have tested my tap water and ammonia is at 0. Lights I normally put on from 15:00 to 23:00. I changed the carbon filter and the algae filter due to lots of algae build up but left the bio filter in.

Sounds good - how’s your tank ammonia now? If it lifts up from 0 that to me would suggest too much media removed at once.

8 hours of light could be high. I’d drop down to 6 and/or tape off some lights - try that and see if algae slower to grow. For me, to reduce algae I reduce lighting.

I just thought to add that I’ve had smaller tanks have low level ammonia, etc for several months after should of cycled. Say around 0.25 after a big water change stirs up muck, etc. The same tank a year later is much more bullet-proof.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom