Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cactuspixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queensland Australia
Posts: 1,830
Out of interest, how did you come by all those adult fish? Were they traded in at an lfs or do you know someone that was shutting down their tank?
If you could post a full tank shot so we can see the layout and offer more meaningful advice.
I understand that you are new to fish keeping, and want to do the best for your fish- that's what AA is here for
__________________

__________________
Cactuspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactuspixie View Post
Out of interest, how did you come by all those adult fish? Were they traded in at an lfs or do you know someone that was shutting down their tank?
If you could post a full tank shot so we can see the layout and offer more meaningful advice.
I understand that you are new to fish keeping, and want to do the best for your fish- that's what AA is here for
Hello Cactuspixie.

Apart from the Panda Corys. I purchased the total tank set up, 2nd hand through our local paper advertisment, including fish. The gentleman who sold me the set up informed me that he had this tank for over 2 yrs. I have researched the fish in question, and I am aware they are of adult size. As stated previously. I am doing a 50% water change on a weekly basis, using water from the tank to clean internal filter and cleaning gravel with water vaccum, ete,etc. Plants look OK. Centre piece bogwood also OK plant attached.

The only Item I replaced was the old EIHM 54 Internal Filter for the more powerful FLUVAL U2 Internal Filter.
__________________

__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
weather they are fully grown or not your overstocked. look check out this website aqadvisor.com just to make sure my hunch is right.
Hi Corylover.

Thank you for your advice. I have checked out the Aqadvisor.com, and now I am worried.

Apart from the Cory Pandas, which I recently added. The Tank Set-up, I purchased 2nd hand, including fish. I was informed the tank set up was 2yrs old, and fish have been in the set up for the whole duration.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissycakes View Post
They may appear to be fine, but if given the chance in a bigger tank, I think they would love it more. More room to stretch the fins=)
Hi Krissycakes.

Please advise tank size. I can let you know that this set up was purchased 2nd hand from local paper advertisment. I was informed from seller that fish in question are over 24 months old.

Apart from Cory Pandas which, I recently added. I also changed the old Eihm 54 internal filter to a FLUVAL U2. I also do a regular 50% water change as recommended.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Krissycakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Posts: 1,043
If you did research the fish and their adult sizes, and decided what fish you wanted to keep in the 2nd hand tank, and went to aqadvisor.com you should know what is the best size for your fish. Aqadvisor is very helpful. But I am not sure of the fish you have at the moment.
__________________
Krissycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissycakes View Post
If you did research the fish and their adult sizes, and decided what fish you wanted to keep in the 2nd hand tank, and went to aqadvisor.com you should know what is the best size for your fish. Aqadvisor is very helpful. But I am not sure of the fish you have at the moment.
7 Neon Tetra / 5 Lemon Tetra / 4 Panda Cory / 1 Bronze Catfish / 1 Spotted Hoplo / 2 Harlequin Rasbora / 6 Rosy Tetra.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Krissycakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Posts: 1,043
And what size tank do you have them in?
Is the hoplo 6"?
__________________
Krissycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissycakes View Post
And what size tank do you have them in?
Is the hoplo 6"?
Spotted Hoplo approx 5 inches and the tank is 10 gallon = 55 Litre.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Krissycakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Kailua Kona, Hawaii
Posts: 1,043
I would say get a 45g, but if they are fine now and your bronze catfish doesn't get lonely, you might need a bit more filtration for the amount of fish in the 10G, small area, faster time to get dirty
__________________
Krissycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissycakes View Post
I would say get a 45g, but if they are fine now and your bronze catfish doesn't get lonely, you might need a bit more filtration for the amount of fish in the 10G, small area, faster time to get dirty
Thank you, Krissycakes.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
corylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: south carolina
Posts: 255
yes I had around that same amount of fish in my 40g and it said I was overstocked. so I took my then 7 mosquito fish into my 10g. then that dropped it enough to add 2 rescued fish. I would defiantly recommend adding another filter. make sure that you have something to ease the outflow like a fake plant you can stick to the glass in front of it. your neons are going to be your cue fish. for example since I got a 30g the mosquito fish went in there. then I got 5 neons for the 10g to keep a rescued cardinal company. until he passed due to severely damage to his tail fin. when I looked in there yesterday they were a little pale in color and not as bright. so I checked the parameters and the carbon and nitrite was a little high. while in my main tank my tiger barbs were also dull. and that was due to ph. so I did a 50% water change for the 10g with water from my main. and the water from the 10g went into the main. today both the neons and the tiger barbs are back to normal coloration. so if you for now till you get another tank do the water changes and if u see your neons color change, immediately check the water parameters and fix what needs to be done. ask around on this site if anyone has a 40g they are willing to part with or ask your LFS see if you can do a down payment on one and get it setup. then that way you can pay him or her off little by little. I know my LFS would do that. but mine is a small business owner not a big store like petco or petsmart so I don't know if you could do that its worth a shot though. as long as you get a constant paycheck you might be able to do that.
__________________
corylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
yes I had around that same amount of fish in my 40g and it said I was overstocked. so I took my then 7 mosquito fish into my 10g. then that dropped it enough to add 2 rescued fish. I would defiantly recommend adding another filter. make sure that you have something to ease the outflow like a fake plant you can stick to the glass in front of it. your neons are going to be your cue fish. for example since I got a 30g the mosquito fish went in there. then I got 5 neons for the 10g to keep a rescued cardinal company. until he passed due to severely damage to his tail fin. when I looked in there yesterday they were a little pale in color and not as bright. so I checked the parameters and the carbon and nitrite was a little high. while in my main tank my tiger barbs were also dull. and that was due to ph. so I did a 50% water change for the 10g with water from my main. and the water from the 10g went into the main. today both the neons and the tiger barbs are back to normal coloration. so if you for now till you get another tank do the water changes and if u see your neons color change, immediately check the water parameters and fix what needs to be done. ask around on this site if anyone has a 40g they are willing to part with or ask your LFS see if you can do a down payment on one and get it setup. then that way you can pay him or her off little by little. I know my LFS would do that. but mine is a small business owner not a big store like petco or petsmart so I don't know if you could do that its worth a shot though. as long as you get a constant paycheck you might be able to do that.
Hi. Once again thank you for the valid advice. I appreciate your honest input. I will be purchasing 40g tank shortly and will follow your kind instructions.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
corylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: south carolina
Posts: 255
your welcome hopefully we can get pics of your new tank XD. also run 2 filters on the 40g helps with a lot of cleaning and just better in the long run.
__________________
corylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 286
A dog can live every day in a small kennel but do you think it will be happy and playful? Its very difficult to look at a fish and know is it happy content or miserable.

Before I give any advise on what I would do can you share your ammonia nirite and nitrate levels as well as some pics of the tank so we can all fully understand and advise you better?
__________________
Brad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
A dog can live every day in a small kennel but do you think it will be happy and playful? Its very difficult to look at a fish and know is it happy content or miserable.

Before I give any advise on what I would do can you share your ammonia nirite and nitrate levels as well as some pics of the tank so we can all fully understand and advise you better?
Hi Brad.

Thank you for your input. Appreciate it.

You will here from me shortly regarding Nitrate / Ammonia levels plus pics.
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
your welcome hopefully we can get pics of your new tank XD. also run 2 filters on the 40g helps with a lot of cleaning and just better in the long run.
Hi Corylover.

Just to let you know that my New Juwel Rio 180 tank is now thriving with 2 filter internal systems keeping everything healthy and crystal clear. 20% regular weekly change.

All fish are very healthy, and here is run down of what I have.

Cory Catfish - Bronze Catfish - Albino Catfish - Spotted Hoplo.

Neon Tetras - Yellow Gourami - Gold Anglefish - Zebra Danios - Lemon Tetra - Rosy Tetra - Harlequin Raspbora - Tiger Barb
__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
corylover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: south carolina
Posts: 255
wow XD they should be all happy with that space just keep an eye on the neons cause the tiger barbs and angles might eat them
__________________
corylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 18
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by corylover View Post
wow XD they should be all happy with that space just keep an eye on the neons cause the tiger barbs and angles might eat them
Thank you. I will, and thank you once again for your help.
__________________

__________________
Gifoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.