I'm a new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie904

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a new member and thought this forum would be a great way to get some helpful information when needed. I have a 36 gallon bow front freshwater aquarium. I'm considering a saltwater aquarium and can use all the advise I can get with what I would need to start one. I am a beginner and would be using a tank under 40 gallons.

Welcome. Don't know much about salt water, but there are folks here who can and will gladly walk you through the process.

Thanks. I was thinking of checking out LED lighting for my freshwater tank. I don't know if I would be able to find that type of lighting with a bow front tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I was thinking of checking out LED lighting for my freshwater tank. I don't know if I would be able to find that type of lighting with a bow front tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes you can I have a 46g bow front and have an LED light. It sits above the lid on bracketsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404604182.762259.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404604215.214922.jpg

Kim

Thanks, I will definitely check it out!! The tank will look so much better with that type of lighting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The colors of your fish will be so intense!! One of my favorite are the German Blue Rams

Kim

I first saw the LED lighting at one of the pet stores. What a difference!!

Welcome :)! If you're doing a sw tank you'll need to decide if you want a fish only with live rock tank or reef tank. That will determine how powerful the lights need to be

Thanks! I plan on having a fish only with live rock. I figure that would be the easiest since I'm a beginner with absolutely no experience with saltwater aquariums. Right now I have a freshwater aquarium and thinking of changing my lighting to LED.

I love having an aquarium. It's very relaxing to watch the fish!

Hello, I'm new here too.. The LED lights definitely look cool on the tank but i've been hesitant to get them because what if one burns out, then you have to replace the whole fixture? That is what has prevented me from getting LED.. I know they are supposed to last a long time... but it seems like getting bulbs is more convenient. Right now i have 3 shop lights set up with CFL bulbs, they were pretty cheap and seem to be doing the job, has a more "industrial" look tho.. not as clean and modern as the LED lights..

Thanks for the info. I really love the way LED lighting looks when I see pictures of aquariums using that kind of lighting! I just don't want to invest in getting them, then it turn out to be more trouble than they're worth! I'm not a fan of florescent lighting.

Check out the Current sat +, it has all types of great features at a sold price.. it is also dimmable of algae becomes an issue..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1405858034242.jpg
    1405858034242.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 45
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out! Love the pic, very nice lighting!

My Fluorescent lights didn't last me very long, so I was buying them quite frequently. I think the price balances itself out on the long run.

I'm going to check out LED and T5 lighting. I just ordered a glass canopy, so I'll have to get new lighting anyway. I love getting everyone's info before jumping right in and buying something I haven't really researched.

Welcome!
A 36g bowfront measures approximately 30" wide. There is quite a selection of LEDs in this size. Prices and quality vary considerably. Depends on what your goals are.

At this point, I don't have any plants and am down to 1 albino oscar. I'm going to have to get a bigger tank for him because Bubba was the only one that kept growing and growing. He is huge! I would like to turn my 36 gallon into a saltwater tank, a FOWLR

Good luck with Bubba's new home and the FOWLER. There are numerous threads on SW start ups on this forum and folks with helpful advice. Read up and ask questions.

Back
Top Bottom