Im new! check out my snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snailpartyof2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys!! I’m new here and I am so happy to be! I have an apple snail named Sally, and a mystery snail named Arthur.
When we got the two we were told Sally was a mystery snail… fast forward 2 weeks later and she’s gone from Arthurs first size at about a 3/4 inch shell to about a 3 inch shell!
Arthur is always following Sally almost like she’s helping him get hang of things. We believe Arthur was a baby when we got him.

Well that’s my intro!

Attachments

• 41372DF2-9CB3-42DC-8D67-D9EEF726FD04.jpg
    41372DF2-9CB3-42DC-8D67-D9EEF726FD04.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 26
  • FE7CB4DE-E96A-44FA-B0F3-31884382DC89.jpg
    FE7CB4DE-E96A-44FA-B0F3-31884382DC89.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?
I ask because the water looks milky cloudy and that is a sign the tank has a new filter. If it is a newly set up tank (less than 6 weeks old), reduce the feeding to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change every day to keep ammonia and nitrite levels low. When the filter has cycled (developed beneficial bacteria), you can feed once a day and do a water change once a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the tank been set up for?
I ask because the water looks milky cloudy and that is a sign the tank has a new filter. If it is a newly set up tank (less than 6 weeks old), reduce the feeding to 2-3 times a week and do a 75% water change every day to keep ammonia and nitrite levels low. When the filter has cycled (developed beneficial bacteria), you can feed once a day and do a water change once a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Its been about maybe 3-4 weeks? It is hard for me to do the water change like that only because we have a betta in there too and i was always told not to change their water too much…(?) and wow 2-3 x a week?
We have a carbon insert as well in the filter should that be changed as well?

Fish are fine with water changes as long as they get them regularly and the new water has a similar chemistry (pH, GH & KH) and temperature as the aquarium water, which it should have if you do them regularly. The new water also needs to be free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank. As long as those requirements are met, you can change 90% of the water every day if you like. Although I normally save 90% water changes for major water quality issues (high ammonia, nitrite or nitrate) and poisoning.

Lovely, sounds like the big one is gonna try and eat you our of house and home, lol!

Carbon lasts around a week. Give or take. And it's efficacy is diminished. It is usually used to help remove medicine or yellowed/ tannins. Although tannins are good for most fish.

Back
Top Bottom