I'm new...I don't know what to do!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, name is justin. Im completely new to fishkeeping hobby, but i am eager to get involved.

Ive had a few lil tanks when i was a kid but i never really took care of them, just a kid i guess. I have always wanted a huge aquarium in my house when i get older, and there is no better time than now to start learning how to take care of it you know what i mean.

So i started doing alot of research and came across alot of information i had no clue about, i.e. cycling, and how to guage how large a heater u need, things like that. One thing i have seen alot is people say that you should first decide what kind of fish u want then start thinking about tank sizes and go from there, so i did just that.

I was originally thinking about gettin a lil 10 gallon, but ive seen the stickies and read on many sites that the bigger the tank the more leeway (sp?) you have with pH and all that. So now i am thinkin at least a 20 or 25, maybe bigger if i can really find some space in here..(heck finding space for a 20 is gonna be a project in itself).

Ive decided on the fish ill start my community tank with: 1 pearl guorami, 4 belted barbs, and 4 black ruby barbs. Then a few yoyo's after the tank is established for a bit.

So now onto deciding on a tank and filtration and substrate and aquascape and all that stuff. So yea ill be around with a bunch of n00b questions that you guys probably hear all the time. Sry in advance.

Later

Welcome to AA! I would recommend a fishless cycle, it is easier on the fish. Also a larger tank is easeir to keep stable. Looking forward to your questions.

oh yeah i didnt mean i was doing a fish cycle, i am definately doing a fishless cycle, prolly put in a few plants toward the end after the ammonia dies down. but yea im definately going with a fishless cycle

Good for you on the fishless cycle. As far as I know, there is no harm in adding the plants now, they can actually help your cycle from what I have been told by those that plant their tanks. I'm new to planting tanks so this is not from my own experience.

Back
Top Bottom