I'm new to saltwater an new to this forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jinx

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I'm hoping this forum will be as wonderful of an experience as having my very first saltwater tank :)

I rescued my 29gal modified BioCube from a fish store that was relocating. To explain how I received it already established but badly neglected it goes like this.... I live in Florida along the coast, we get many "part-time" residents. These part-timers get a tank and care for it but when they head back north they hand it off to a store to "babysit" until their next visit. Well the owner of this tank never returned and wasn't paying the sitters fee. No sitters fee no care to the tank.

I paid the sitters fee and had myself a coral tank :) It was covered in purple slime and just really a mess. This is my first saltwater adventure and I have worked very hard over the last month to get it stabilized. I've had freshwater tanks many times over the years so thankfully I'm not completely aquarium stupid lol. I've read tons of info, identified the corals (tho I notice lingo used that I haven't caught onto yet) but I still have many questions that I would love to get advice on.

That sounds like one of the best ways to be introduced into the hobby!! ^_^ Building off of an already solid foundation is a nice start.

Maybe I should look into that as well... Perhaps I can get lucky. I have been looking to start a coral tank but have yet to find that right size tank. How do you like the 29? Has it been fairly easy for you to maintain? Does it have any powerheads or any extra equipment for a flow aside from a filter?

That sounds like one of the best ways to be introduced into the hobby!! ^_^ Building off of an already solid foundation is a nice start.

Maybe I should look into that as well... Perhaps I can get lucky. I have been looking to start a coral tank but have yet to find that right size tank. How do you like the 29? Has it been fairly easy for you to maintain? Does it have any powerheads or any extra equipment for a flow aside from a filter?
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :)

The BioCube did have one built in water flow but I bought a 2nd one. So far 29 gal is enough for me. However, I'm one of those who go to extremes lol. I'm trying to convince myself that I need to stay with a small tank. I can easily see me working up to a 300 gal tank.

I find it rather easy to maintain. I do intend to get a new skimmer since the one that was jammed down in one of the back chambers doesn't work. Until then I do water changes more frequently. So I suppose if you don't like changing water that could be difficult for some. But seriously this tank has been easier than any of my freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom