Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronigun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I've had fish successfully for years. New to the fishless cycling. Using ammonia for the first time ever. Wish me luck. Starting a new
36 g bowfront. At this moment I have a 10g cycled holding tank 1 betta and 6 tetras. Waiting to go to their new home.

Welcome, if you have a cycled tank that you can transfer the filter over or most of the media from within you shouldn’t need to cycle the upgrade.

If that is so, wouldn't my new tank with all the media from the old tank show readings? The only thing showing is the ammonia that I am adding. O nitrites and o nitrates. Thanks

Yes. If you put cycled media into your new filter and the bacteria didnt die off in the process of moving you would expect to see some nitrite and/or nitrate.

Did you allow the media to dry out? Or maybe rinsed it in chlorinated water?

Thanks for your reply. I turned the heat up to 80. Running filter on full, let the tank air out for 24hrs before adding the old media. I didn't add prime. It's only been a week. Nothing has shown up yet. Added ammonia when it drops. No nitrites yet. I will test again today.

Your ammonia is dropping? But you arent seeing it come out as nitrite or nitrate? Any plants in the aquarium?

You say you didnt add prime. So your water is chlorinated. That will kill off the bacteria.

I've read not to use a de chlorinator when starting a new tank. Fill, turn up heat, add air. Let run for 24 hrs to get rid of chlorine. Add prime when you start the water changes. Hope I'm not wrong. Thanks

Last edited:
Chlorinated water will kill off beneficial bacteria. Letting water stand for 24 hours should degas the chlorine, never tried it myself, i use a dechlorinator. Are you sure it degassed ok? Is this how you treat water for your water changes on your established tank(s)? Are you sure your water treatment is chlorine and not chloramine? Chloramine doesn't degas like chlorine.

Hi. No. With my established tank I always use prime during water changes. This is the first time trying pure ammonia. Cycling before was with fish. This is new to me. I've always used prime when cycling. I've read that you don't need it when first starting. As long as you gas off the tank. I did.

If you have had success doing fish in cycling all this time I’m curious why you are switching methods.

Fish less cycling is probably our number one discussed topic here for a reason. It is mightily confusing.

Hi. No. With my established tank I always use prime during water changes. This is the first time trying pure ammonia. Cycling before was with fish. This is new to me. I've always used prime when cycling. I've read that you don't need it when first starting. As long as you gas off the tank. I did.
As long as you are sure you are chlorine free, it doesnt matter how you dechlorinate. Like i said, are you sure you degassed off the chlorine? Chlorine will kill off beneficial bacteria. Is water chloramine treated? This wont degas.

I think when people are saying dont use prime during a fishless cycle, they are referring to its ammonia detoxifying properties. Not saying dont dechlorinate the water.

Ok. So I tested everything. I know the ammonia is out the roof. So is the Niitrates. Ph (BOTH) are normal. What I am going to do is change 50% of the water and check ammonia after. If I have to add ammonia back up I will.Wait for a day and see if ammonia and nitrites have dropped to 0. If so I will do a 90% w/c. Correct? Thanks

Last edited:
Unless your ammonia is way out there, like 5ppm or higher just leave it. pH is irrelevant unless you are down at like 6.0pH. Im wondering where the nitrate came from. Your previous post said it was 0. So thats good, you must have some cycle going, just not enough to remove all the ammonia yet.

Hi everyone. 5 weeks later. My tank is finally cycled. 0 ammo, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates. First day. I dose 2 ppm ammonia every 2 days and is gone at every test. My question is: If I originally dosed at 4 ppm of ammonia in the very beginning and then went to 2 ppm do I do the last one at 4 or 2 ppm? To test if it's cycled? If cycled, ammo and rites should be zero in 24 hrs?

Back
Top Bottom