large white mark on my goldfish's head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bella

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My mum gave me a tiny comet goldfish a couple of years ago & it's grown massive. This morning I noticed a large white mark on his head, I have no idea what it is & it wasn't there yesterday. Could it be an injury from trying to jump out of the tank? I did a partial water change yesterday but I always use the same chlorine neutraliser & there's been no change to his routine or anything. I've googled it & read some books on goldfish care but it doesn't look like any of the diseases in them. Does anyone know what this might be?

Attachments

• Biggy-2.jpg
    Biggy-2.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 233
  • biggy-1.jpg
    biggy-1.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 135
The tank is 3 foot long by 1 foot & 1 foot high but I'm hoping to get a bigger one soon. There's only the one fish in there - he's about 7 inches long. There's no plants or anything in there anymore because he keeps digging everything up:) I change the water pretty often because the tank seems a bit small, & I check the pH & everything. He's acting normal. I thought maybe he could be injured from trying to jump out all the time?

Could be an injury; I'd watch it and see if it gets worse or shows signs of infection. Getting him a larger tank with more room to swim upwards might help a lot. Does he have an air stone or surface agitation for oxygen in the tank? Also by now I'm assuming the tank is properly cycled but just check paramaters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) to make sure nothing is off that may be making him uncomfortable. I think a larger tank would help a lot though.

Thanks for the advice:) I'll give it a thorough check just to be sure.
There is an airstone in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom